BTS\'s \"Life Goes on\" music video.
BTS\'s \"Life Goes on\" music video.
Big Hit Entertainment

Top 5 Must-Watch Videos For New BTS Armies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Discovering BTS was one of the few good things that came out of COVID-quarantine. While I have heard about BTS before, I never thought to look into their music or content. However, in late 2020, a lot of BTS content made its way into my TikTok feed, and I got to see these seven goofy Korean men being themselves and quickly fell in love with their lively personalities. Thus, I started my crazy trip down the wormhole that is K-pop and becoming an Army (name of BTS’s fandom).

There are a few must-watch BTS content videos that every new Army should watch to fully experience BTS. My friends suggested these to me when I became an Army, and I’m now passing them on to you! So here are the Top 5 must-watch videos for all new armies!

1. BTS Compilations

Funny YouTube compilations of the boys being themselves are probably the best place to start. Since the majority of their content is in Korean, the compilations are a quick and easy way to enjoy their humour and see their personalities for non-Korean speakers. There are also solo and duo compilations, which portray their individual nature and relationships with one other!

2. Music Videos and the Bangtan universe explained

BTS Music Videos (MVs) are an absolute must-watch. The K-Pop industry is well known for its unique and high-budget production, and BTS is no exception. Their MVs are deep and metaphorical: each video tells its own story, with underlying symbolic messages. Some recommended MVs are ”Blood, Sweat and Tears’,’ ”Fake Love’,’ ”Spring Day,” and ”ON’.’ There are also explanation videos on YouTube that better explain the meaning of the music videos, which I also recommend watching!

BTS’ MVs go much further than hidden messages: each MV connects with the others. BTS and its label created a BTS storyline called the “Bangtan Universe.” A lot of their MVs connect and fill in the storyline as it goes. Understanding the storyline and the MVs is definitely a unique experience. Plus, the videos are incredibly well-choreographed!

3. BTS MMA 2018 – FULL PERFORMANCE (MELON MUSIC AWARDS)

If you thought I wouldn’t include a live performance, you were WRONG! Like their MVs, their live performances are just as outstanding. The boys put on grand performances for their fans every chance they get. To get a glimpse of the sheer size of their performances, BTS in the 2018 MMAs is a must-watch, among their other MMAs performances!

4. Run BTS

Run BTS is a variety game show released weekly on Vlive. The boys complete a variety of challenges each episode, often to escape penalties or for a prize. Each episode is filled with laughter and totally worth a watch. For new watchers, I would recommend starting from more recent episodes, since the quality of the videos is much better. However, the old ones are also pure gold, so don’t forget to watch them!

5. Read “Save Me” Webtoons

This one is optional, but the “Save Me” webtoons sealed the deal for me! The webtoons series, also original to their label, marks the starting point to the Bangtan Universe. Once I read the webtoons, it was hard not to love the boys. Though the storyline itself is fictional, their characters in the webtoons represent their real personalities and beautifully showcase their friendship.

BTS is much more than just a K-Pop boy band that produces good music. They focus on spreading the message of self-love and positive mental health through various content and good personalities. While their content may be lighthearted and fun to watch, the boys’ morality and support for one another teaches their audience to love themselves and be better versions of themselves. I hope you enjoy the above recommendations, because I sure did!

Sherlly Russel

Carleton '22

Your not so average, complicated, and multicultural brown girl. Born and raised in India, middle-school, and high school in china, university in Canada. Conversations about philosophy, cosmology, cross-culturalism, and religion are right up my alley!