Career > Her20s

Tips and tricks to kill it at your first corporate job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Starting your very first corporate job is a really exciting time in your life. Some of us have been dreaming of the downtown living, high-rise working, boss lifestyle forever, and breaking into the corporate world is the very first step to achieving our lofty career goals.  

Here are some tips and tricks on how to succeed:

Gauge the vibes

Every workplace is different, and while they will all inevitably share similar aspects, the level of formality required at every workplace will differ. Take the first few weeks to figure out what the vibes of your workplace are. The best way of doing this is by seeing how your coworkers (who have been there longer than you) interact with each other and interact with their supervisors.

During this time, also take note of the way people are dressing. Some offices require business formal every day, others have a more relaxed dress code that may allow you to wear more casual clothes. Again, the best way of figuring out what is appropriate to wear to work in your corporate environment is to see how your peers are dressing for work and match their level of formality

Learn to talk the talk

The language and conversation used in corporate settings is obviously a little different from the way you would usually speak. It may take you a little while to learn all the corporate lingo, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll fit right in. Along with speaking in corporate lingo comes the ability to write proper workplace emails. The language that is used in corporate emails is usually pretty professional and requires you to think professionally as you are crafting said emails. Again, the best way of figuring out how to write good emails is by paying attention to those you were sent. Copy the kind of language used in those emails, and find a coworker who you trust to look over, and give you feedback on important emails, before you send them.

On that same note, make sure to proofread your emails. While typos and grammar mistakes happen to everyone, and you should not panic if you send an email with a typo, having typos or mistakes in every email you send can come across as a little careless. It doesn’t hurt to give your emails a quick read-through before you hit that “send” button.

Side note: most big companies LOVE acronyms, and it’ll take you awhile to get the hang of them. It’s a good idea to keep notes of all the acronyms you hear and learn about, so you can refer back to them later.

Get involved

If you want to stand out and get to know new people, try to get involved in as much as you can.  Most companies will have things like women’s networks or volunteering opportunities that are open to staff. Getting involved in these is a way of showing you’re dedicated to the values the company has, while also being a great way of meeting others. 

Often volunteers are featured on internal company websites or messaging, so it’s not a bad idea to try it out. These volunteer events can also be really good opportunities to bond with some coworkers. You can even go one step ahead and round up part of your team to volunteer together!

Ask questions

A new job will always come with a lot of questions — don’t be afraid to ask them! Your supervisor and your coworkers know you’re new, and they should be happy to answer any questions you may have. Asking for clarification on an assignment or in a meeting is a lot better than doing something wrong and having to go back and re-do it afterwards. 

When it comes to asking questions, you have to be able to get out of your own head. It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that asking questions is going to make you seem dumb or inexperienced, but you need to be able to get out of that mentality and realize that asking questions will make you better at your job.

Look your best, feel your best

I am big proponent that when you feel your best, you work best. Dress in a way that is work-appropriate, but also in a way that makes you feel beautiful and confident. While your looks have zero impact on your day-to-day work at your corporate job, the more confident you feel, the more confident you look, and confidence is key to making good first impressions and coming across as self-assured and capable.

While it may mean having to wake up earlier than you are used to, looking your best for work will give you the extra confidence boost you need.

You’re there for a reason

This one goes both ways, first make sure to check your ego at the door. Be excited and proud that you got the job you did, but recognize that your first corporate job is a learning experience. Be able to take both criticism and praise well, and be open to working on things you may not have expected.

On the other hand, imposter syndrome can really hit hard when you start your first corporate job, and you should know that it happens to most people. You just need to have confidence in yourself and your capabilities. The odds are that there were many candidates for the position and it was you who was hired, so clearly, they chose you for a reason.

Andrea is a Journalism and Law combined honours student with a minor in English Literature. She loves keeping busy with school, work and writing. Andrea loves to read all kinds of books and has found that writing is her favorite way to unwind. Andrea is involved with greek life and philanthropy on campus and hopes to go to law school after her undergrad.