There’s a Queer and Trans Library on Carleton’s Campus?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I am so very pleased to tell you that the answer to this headline is: yes! Within the Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre (Room 427 of the University Centre), there is a Queer and Trans Library with a 2SLGBTQ+ focused-collection. It is one of the biggest libraries of its kind in Ottawa! The library is open not only to Carleton students, but to anyone within the greater community who wishes to use the resource. The introductory information in this article is divided into three sections: the contents of the library; the way in which the contents are curated; and finally, how the content can be accessed. 

1. Contents

The contents of the GSRC Queer and Trans Library can be navigated with the help of the Library Guide (which can be found in the Instagram Highlights of @cusagsrc or at this link). Although Programming Coordinator Gabbie Cruz explains that the organization of this growing library is an ongoing effort (with the help of Library Volunteers), there are eight main categories. First, there is the General Non-Fiction section with subcategories on topics like aging, HIV/AIDS, self-help, and violence and discrimination. Then, there are History and LGBT Studies sections—which students might find useful for their academic studies! The Communities & Identities category includes books specific to QTBIPOC, lesbianism, bisexuality, asexuality, disability, religion and spirituality, and so on. Readers can also browse the sections on Intimacy and Commentary & Critique. You can even access multimedia resources!

Because they are a writer, Gabbie’s favourite part of the library is its large selection of fiction. These titles range through genres of romance, anthology, poetry, mystery, script and screenplay, and more. Gabbie shares that they personally have been enjoying down-to-earth stories that “focus on the mundanity of queer and trans life” (slice of life come through!). Overall, most of the library’s contents have a relate to sexuality and gender, although not all are necessarily 2SLGBTQ+ focused.     

2. Curation

How does the GSRC get the books and multimedia resources for the Queer and Trans Library? Well, most of its contents are donated, Gabbie explains. However, the GSRC also purchases certain books based on other considerations. The coordinators try to survey people in the space, taking recommendations from them and seeing what books people in the community will find interesting. Sometimes they also come across resource books during their research work and decide that they would make good additions to the library. Additionally, Gabbie notes that they would like to add more contemporary books to the library collection in the future, like Alice Oseman’s Young Adult novel “Loveless.”

3. access

The GSRC library is essentially a physical collection — however, there are two different ways to access it. If you come to the Centre in person, you can browse the bookshelves and sign out items there with the help of the volunteer team. You can also look at the library catalogue online and request books by becoming a Patron (unpaid) on its Libib page. When you place an online hold, the Centre reserves the item for you to pick up. They can also deliver items to patrons depending on the circumstance. There may be a few gaps between what titles are available in person and online, but given the enormous number of items in the collection, it is an impressive online database!

Borrowing books or other resources from the library is treated as an honour system. The typical borrowing period is four weeks; however, if you require more time, Gabbie explains that you can simply email the Centre to let them know.

To contact the GSRC with questions about the library, you can email the Coordinators at gsrc@cusaonline.ca. I hope this article will inspire you to check out the Queer and Trans Library’s in-person or digital catalogue ASAP!

Side Note: Gabbie also makes mention of the Ottawa Trans Library, located in Hintonburg. This is another excellent recommendation for interested readers!  

Aria Mann

Carleton '25

Aria Mann is a Carleton University student. At any given time you could probably catch her reading, playing the piano, or listening to new music. Or writing. Obviously.