Wellness

Single or not at Christmas – Love is all around!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Carleton University student’s wellness tips to get you through this season.

It’s the beginning of December, friends and family are gathering merrily. Lights are strung up upon the rooftops and snow befalls the ground and glistens under the sun. It’s a magical time really, a time when love seems to fill the air and everyone’s hearts are full of care, the world is pretty and all of life’s problems seem to disappear. 

Until that one couple posted a photo on Instagram standing in front of their Christmas tree with the caption “I already got the best present this year.” We’ve all been there, when you get that sinking feeling as a reminder that once again… you’re single during the Christmas season. 

The holidays can be a challenging time for those out there who don’t have a significant other to share it with, but if this is you, you are not alone. With Hallmark movies and popular Christmas music pushing the narrative that you need to be in a relationship during the holidays, it can be hard not to feel the social stigma if you are, in fact, single during Christmas. Not to mention, friends and family can make singleness seem worse, especially when they’re filled with the expectation that you’re bringing someone home for the holidays. It can be endearing, at times. But when you’re in your independent era, it can be hard during the cold months to feel okay about being single, when in reality, it is. 

Students at Carleton University understand what you’re going through, and have wellness tips of their own that they shared to get you through this season. 

Surround yourself with friends and family

Just because you may not have a partner this year, doesn’t mean love isn’t all around. Romance isn’t the only form of love that matters, familial love is just as important. If you’re feeling isolated, reach out to the people you care about. Even something as simple as giving a friend or family member a phone call can make all the difference.

Reduce scrolling time on social media

Social media can be one of the biggest pushers of the idea that we need a significant other in order to be happy during the holidays. Friends posting pictures of the cute activities they do with their partner, gift ideas for your soulmate, or the matching pj sets everyone seems to have at Christmas time. However, what you see on social media is not something you need to be comparing yourself to. People only post the things they want other people to see, this is what makes social media so unrealistic. Remember what Christmas was like before social media? Try to remind yourself what Christmas is all about, and do the things you used to love. Watch an old Christmas movie, go window shopping downtown, or bake Pillsbury cookies with your best friends. 

Show gratitude to the ones you love 

Showing appreciation for the people you love can be one of the best forms of self-care, whether it be making crafts for your family, or sending a Christmas card to your best friend. Showing gratitude is a great reminder of how blessed you are with all the people you love, and who love you. “Not everyone has an immediate and close family they can spend time with, let alone a significant other,” An English student at Carleton University said, “love is all around!”

Have some hot chocolate :)

This one’s pretty self-explanatory, get some marshmallows, and a little whipped cream, you deserve it. And remember, your feelings are valid, and they won’t last forever. 

Elizabeth Mason is a second-year Journalism student at Carleton University. She grew up in Fort Erie, Ontario, a small town on the Niagara River. She loves reading, writing and especially loves music. You can usually find her with her friends in a coffee shop. She hopes to one day sing for a large crowd or be found on the television screen as a news anchor. She loves to write about entertainment, culture, and music, but is passionate about her work and is happy to dive deeper into topics out of her comfort zone.