In response to 23 Trends Guys Hate (But Women Love)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I don’t know about you ladies, but when I read Ellie Krupnick’s enlightening Huffington Post article 23 Trends Guys Hate (But Women Love), I was relieved. Finally! An article that featured the real opinions of real guys who are very concerned about the personal choices women make. It was unlike anything I have ever read before.

I went out and I tossed all of my clothes into a burning pit! There was no way this girl was turning off any men with my peplum high-waisted high-low dress with my pointy toe platform sneakers. I ripped off my fake nails, catapulted my hooker red lipsticks into the fire and declared that I was now ready to wear simple and less confusing things…like a paper bag. And no more shoes, just two sponges tied to my feet with rope.

Imagine my surprise when, according to a survey I did just now, women have some opinions on trends that guys love! And these women hate them!! Whoa wait, women have opinions?! It’s crazy, I know. Consider these styles lady repellers:

Snap backs and beanies: “I bet you don’t even wear that hat for warmth.”
Hockey jerseys: “What are you, a FAN OF A SPORTS TEAM? Why can’t you be subtle about it?”
Greasy hair: “I bet you use that snap back with a team logo to cover up the hair you haven’t washed for two weeks straight.”
Fedoras: “wow, are you 35 and playing xbox alone in your parent’s basement? Do you have a neckbeard?”
Cargo pants: “are all of those pockets really necessary?”
Sweat pants: “how dare you try to be comfortable…. not on my watch.”
Sweaters: “why are you keeping warm? It looks like you’re trying too hard and it lacks a certain degree of subtlety.”
Shorts: “Shorts make even the fittest guy frumpy, and the less fit guys even more unfortunate.”
Shoes: “Men shouldn’t even wear shoes. They should just walk around barefoot and assert their masculinity, like, all of the time.”

Wow, how amazing! These are real opinions from real girls who just want guys to make choices that will impress them!

Wait…wait a minute. It’s almost like….no, could it be? Could it be that maybe instructing people on how to dress or making sweeping statements about taste is almost….harmful? Maybe some women dress for themselves? And only themselves? Maybe the makeup they apply, the shoes they wear and the trends they want to follow are ones that they actually enjoy? What a crazy, radical concept. Almost so radical that girls have almost always been conditioned to aesthetically, emotionally and sexually please men.

So guys, the next time you put on those shoes, choose not to shave, throw on that snapback and wear those baggy jeans, maybe consider the opinions of women presented in this article. You wouldn’t want to repel a woman, would you?

image source : http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-udL9OslF8rY/TjkGz_5NntI/AAAAAAAAGko/4BA2ea6JGz8/s400/True-Religion-Plaid-Trilby-Hat.jpg

Samantha Lapierre is a 4th year Communications student at Carleton University! She considers herself the sixth member of the Spice Girls and has an unhealthy love for One Direction, cheese platters and daytime talkshows. One day she hopes to be a television doctor, but for now she is happy to be a contributor for HerCampus Carleton!Tweet her at @samanthamarg