The Oscars 2013 : The Rundown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The month of February is an entertainment filled month on all fronts. With Super Bowl Sunday, Winterlude, Valentine’s Day, Reading Week, and that inevitable moment during the school semester when you want to throw in the books, so to speak. Maybe even scream “I’m SO DONE!” through the tunnels, so it echoes! Okay, maybe that last part is just me. But then you realize you only have two and a half more months left of those sleepless nights AND there is still one more exciting thing left on the February agenda… And for some, perhaps, the best part of February: Sunday the 24th, the 85th Annual Academy Awards ceremony. More commonly known as the Oscars.

This year the glamorous ceremony will be taking place in Hollywood at the Dolby Theater, and I could not think of a better city for the festivities. As an avid film watcher and a first year film studies student at Carleton, the motion picture industry is one I follow closely. 2012 was certainly an inspiring year for us cinephiles. Les Miserables and Anna Karenina both fall under my category of top twenty movies I’ve ever seen. I would love to see both films win an award. Les Miserables winning Best Picture would be ideal, whereas Anna Karenina should be taking home Best Production Design or Best Costume Design. For those of you who do not agree, Silver Linings Playbook, Argo, Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Django Unchained, and Beasts of the Southern Wild are also very strong possibilities for the Best Picture award. Another of my favorites has always been the leading role for actress and actor. With big names such as Naomi Watts, Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman, and Jennifer Lawrence, it is hard to say who will claim the title.

Not only are the Oscars about who claims fame on the eve of the celebration, but they are also about how big the stars will shine that night, and what designer they will choose to assist them in achieving their best dressed goals. As we know Hollywood is as much about fame as it is about glamour and fashion. Naomi Watts has a record of always being a belle of the ball with a consistently chic and sophisticated rapport. She is usually wearing beautiful lace, with slight glitter and blush neutral tones. Watts is comfortable with her go to designers such as Stella McCartney, Versace, and Givenchy, but in a daring move, stepped out in a fitted burgundy number by Zac Posen at the 2013 Golden Globes. As for Jennifer Lawrence, it would appear she is no wallflower: she was a definite show stopper in a Dior Haute Couture strapless gown at the Golden Globes. Whether these women will go even brighter for the Oscars or tone down their dress colors, I’m sure they’ll look amazing and only contribute to the glitz and glamour of the red carpet. The Oscars will air on ABC at 7 p.m. eastern time so put down the books for a few hours, don’t forget the popcorn and indulge!

Marie Claire Magazine shares with us the 50 best Oscar dresses of all time!

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/fashion/ideas/25924/50/best-oscar-dresses-of-all-time-best-oscar-dresses-best-dresses-best-dressed-oscars-academy-awards-best-dressed.html#index=1&uiSynced=true

Image source : http://www.dolby.com/uploadedImages/Assets/Global/Images/About/IMG_5134_640X360.jpg

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.