Life > Experiences

New Year’s Resolutions Get a Bad Rep – Here’s How I Spin it More Positively

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Most gym newcomers around this time of year will hear a similar story from the person working behind the desk. “It’s pretty busy right now in January, but it’ll die down next month. The New Year’s resolutioners will weed themselves out.” Nowadays, New Year’s resolutions have a stink to them. It’s even become taboo to ask someone what their resolutions are since many people assume they’re just a one-month fad. They started off by bringing momentary hope to people looking to better themselves. But year after year, when people find themselves unable to stick to their self-made promises, the word “resolution” begins to feel like a hopeless, daunting task.

Let’s look at the word resolution itself. Its meaning is to make a firm decision about wanting or not wanting to do something. Some commonplace New Year’s resolutions have to do with diet, exercise, and breaking bad habits. When you break it down, it sounds like it should be a positive thing. So, where does it go wrong? I’d like to explore how I approach my New Year’s resolutions, and how I make them work well for me.

Look back at the Past year.

It’s important to reflect on what worked for you and determine what could’ve been better. If you’re planning on going for a goal this year or changing up your lifestyle, then it can be helpful to take stock of the way that you lived your life most recently. Is there room for new goals in your life, or do you need to make some adjustments? For instance, I plan to make more time to exercise. In the past, I’ve tried to do too much or nothing at all. So, I looked at my schedule and saw where I could realistically have the time and energy to go to the gym, and that was two days a week. Two days a week is a lot better than no days.

Prioritize new goals for the year.

Now that you’ve reflected on the past, you can properly pin down what is most important for this new year. I suggest making a list of all potential goals you’ve been considering so that you can easily sift through them. I tend to focus my goals on the kind of lifestyle I would like to lead to be happy. So, I narrow down what is most important in order to achieve those goals.

map out how goals can be realized (realistically).

Once you’ve prioritized what is most important to you and what’s most realistic, then you can break down how to achieve each goal. I suggest coming up with some tangible ways that would help you get started on your intentions. For example, if your goal is to make some new friends, then you could make a note to put yourself out there by starting a new hobby or joining a club.

Create A visual aid.

This step is the most important to me. If I want to stay motivated, then I need some sort of visual aid to remind me what I’m working for. I have a vision journal where I write down the main theme I’d like for my upcoming year, and I make collages of inspiring pictures that I look at regularly. There are many ways to do this, like vision boards, computer backgrounds, etc. But the point is you should be able to see your inspiration board regularly.

Have a compassionate attitude with yourself.

Avoid rigid self-talk about where you think you should be in pursuing your accomplishments. If you have a lot on your to-do list, make a point to celebrate getting some of it done instead of needing all of it done. Embrace flexibility with your pursuits, in that you give yourself the freedom to change your mind, and to falter sometimes. Be realistic about your expectations and celebrate the small improvements you see along the way.

The way that I approach New Year’s resolutions is mainly about efficiency. I like to plan out my goals as thoroughly as possible so that I have a better chance of maintaining them. I look at them as a lifestyle change that will take me a long time. I hope that 2024 is successful for all of you in whichever way you choose it to be!

Josee Renaud

Carleton '24

Josee is a 4th year Psychology student at Carleton. Her degree specializes in the cognitive and psychological development of children and how our behaviour and thoughts are shaped well into adulthood. Aside from her studies, she enjoys writing and getting involved in mental health events/committees at Carleton. She is passionate about being fit, showering her kitty with love, and is a little too obsessed with animal crossing!