In With The New: 4 Must-Try Spring Makeup Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

When spring finally decides to show its gloriously flowery and sunny face, especially after the winter we’ve experienced, it calls for a celebration. The best way, in my opinion, to celebrate spring is to completely immerse yourself into the season. This means shamelessly indulging in all the spring trends, including makeup. So grab your graphic black and white and florals out of your closet, but do not forget completing your look with a fresh spring look straight off of the runway!

1)  Spring is always associated with colour, and rightly so because there is no more welcome sight than spring blossoms after the grays and browns of winter. Colour made a show stopping appearance in eye makeup this year, from green liner, to bright blue smoky eyes, and pink mascara. Do not fear the colour! Blues and greens can look fantastic on any skin tone, it is only a matter of finding the right shade.

Monique Lhuillier S/S 2013

Source: www.stylebistro.com

2)  The 60s was a roaring presence in the spring collections this year. Retro silhouettes and graphic designs were matched by low kitten heels and gorgeous 60s inspired makeup. Shows like Louis Vuitton sent models down the runway with their hair swept into a beehive and clean but graphic black eyeliner. The eyeliner is the key to the 60s look: it is dark, precise, and pronounced and balanced by a neutral face. Whether you prefer a subtle approach or big drama like a cat eye, 60s glamour is a necessary look to try.

Louis Vuitton S/S 2013

Source: www.stylebistro.com

3)  Red lips would likely fall under the category of colour in makeup trends, but the red lip was so prominent and present on the runway for spring that it deserves its own special mention. That, and the fact that the red lip is commonly feared, like many colourful looks. It should go without saying that a red lip does not mean red like a fire engine. It can mean something more pink, orange, or even burgundy. Embrace your shade. Embrace it.

Missoni S/S 2013

Source: www.stylebistro.com

4)  Fresh, clean, and natural skin: it’s simple and perfect. After the weight of heavy moisturizer and foundation over winter, it is incredibly liberating to venture into the world with a fresh face. Dewy and healthy skin on a clean face was as common as dramatic makeup on the runway for spring, and it only makes sense. The best thing to do is switch to a light foundation to keep the skin looking natural and not completely matte. If you prefer, go totally au natural. It’s spring, and that means its time to shed the layers and start fresh.

Alexander McQueen S/S 2013

Source: www.glamourmagazine.co.uk

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.