Career

Legally Blonde? Or Legally Diverse?: Examining The Experience Of People Of Colour In The Canadian Legal Landscape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

White tailored coats, iced lattes in an airtight coffee cup, and a ‘What, Like it’s hard?’ mindset are the elements of the holy gospel of a stereotypical law student. Honestly, after all those hours of scrolling through Pinterest to channel a sense of academic motivation as a Psychology and Law undergrad student, the romanticization of these glorified components is what feeds my productivity too.

Guilty as charged.

However, my rationale for typing this article is not to merely fuel this stereotype, but rather, to address the experience of minorities in the legal field. The minorities I would be referring to in this article are people of colour in the Canadian legal field, whether they may be legal scholars, law professors, paralegals, legal assistants, or lawyers of any sort.
When I chose the introductory course to law in my second year, the primary purpose it served was that of a mere elective that would contribute to my overall cGPA. Nonetheless, things took a turn, and I developed a genuine interest in the field of Canadian Law, despite the incessant fear of being judged due to being raised in a different country my whole life, and the overwhelmingness of the legal landscape here.

Following my extensive research to execute this article as smoothly as possible (touché), I interviewed Dr. Mohammad Hasan who is an integral part of the Law and Legal Studies department at Carleton University. What stood out to me from his faculty profile was the foundation of his research which is rooted in the rights of Indigenous people, along with other racial minorities. Additionally, his views about the importance of diversity in the Canadian legal field, coupled with his triumph in reaching the zenith of getting accustomed to a completely new culture were the definite highlights of this interview.

These responses have been edited for length and clarity.

Can you share a bit about your background and how you became involved in Canadian legal studies as an instructor at Carleton University?
“After completing my initial legal education at two Bangladeshi law schools, I came to Canada in 2011 to commence my MA in Legal studies from Carleton University. My time as a student there was primarily difficult due to significant language and cultural barriers, however, the professors at Carleton were extremely understanding and supported me throughout my time there. Thenceforward, I received my Ph.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School, where I found that it was easier to work my way around all the former barriers; this process became easier when I sought support from friends and learnt more about Canadian culture and ethics.”

What role do you think diversity plays in fostering a more robust and effective legal system?
“Being an active member of two Equity, Diversity and Inclusion committees, I strongly believe that it is important to address the vulnerabilities felt by people of colour in every field. Canada, being a melting pot of cultures, requires professionals to have a certain ethical observation to maintain, especially if you are practicing law. It is highly crucial to accommodate the interests of people of colour, to avoid any sort of ostracism.”

Have you observed or experienced challenges faced by people of colour within the legal profession? If so, can you provide some insights into these challenges?
“I have not encountered any racial discrimination in the legal field, however, I have heard of the same from acquaintances. This is majorly due to different linguistic barriers or cultural differences, and it is more along the lines of being micro-aggressive and subtle. In my opinion though, things in this context will change, as we are evolving as a society.”

What advice would you give to law students or young professionals of colour aiming to succeed and thrive in the legal field?
“To start, I would like to mention that a lot of my Bangladeshi friends have been successfully practising law in Canada for decades. In one of my interactions with a friend, he added that there will always be challenges associated with language or culture, but if you have a strong passion for practising, then you can pave the way ahead. I came to Canada when I was in my 30s, and even though it was quite hard, my passion for teaching law kept me going and helped me overcome these hindrances. My advice to law students who are visible minorities is that you have to sustain a mindset of achieving the goal because yes, even though the odds are stacked against you, you deserve a seat at the table.”

The reason why I was so drawn to exploring the perspective of someone who shares the same visible minority status as mine is that at the end of all the ‘Pinterest-y’ romanticization and the rose-tinted glasses usually topple off as realities of truly ‘fitting in’ as a person of colour becomes evident. However, according to Dr. Hasan, even though the odds were stacked against him, due to language, racial and cultural barriers, his dedicated passion for practicing law in an unprecedented land was what kept him going. Honestly, this ideology left me inspired too! He also believes that: “Things will change, and we will [soon] strive toward a diverse and equitable Canadian legal landscape where people don’t have to feel excluded, and there will be significantly less racial profiling or white supremacy.”

As a first-generation Indian woman, making me the first in my family to even consider pursuing law in a completely different country, the fear of succumbing to the impostor syndrome is perceived as being inevitable. While a multitude of individuals share this mutual fear, it is important to remember that our journey is a testament to resilience, ambition and the power of breaking through cultural and societal expectations.

One strategy to counteract impostor syndrome is to build a strong support system, as suggested by Dr. Hasan. Connect with fellow law students, mentors and professionals who have walked similar paths. Sharing experiences and seeking guidance can be instrumental in bolstering your confidence and dispelling feelings of inadequacy. Remember that you are not alone in facing these challenges, and the legal community is often more welcoming and supportive than one might anticipate.

So, what’s the endgame? A legal world where everyone—regardless of background—has a shot at the table. This article isn’t just breaking down stereotypes; it’s a shout-out to the unheard voices in the legal mix. It’s a nudge to appreciate the struggles and celebrate the victories that diversity brings to the legal narrative. As we chew over these experiences, it’s clear: the future of Canadian law lies in embracing the stories that make it rich, diverse and truly inclusive.

Mannat Gujral

Carleton '27

Mannat is a 2nd-year Psychology and Law student at Carleton University. She is a true crime fanatic, which is why it is probably not a great idea to open her Netflix watchlist! Along with that, she enjoys singing, somewhere between the shower and karaoke spectrum, and one of her interests also includes poetry! She is deeply encapsulated by the diverse area of politically challenging topics along with philosophy.