This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Name: Kyla Vachon

Program and Year: Psychology major with a minor in neuroscience, 3rd year

Relationship Status: Single

When did you first become interested in neuroscience/psychology?

I can’t really pinpoint the exact moment when I became interested in psychology, but it’s been a long time dream of mine to be a clinical psychologist and I’ve just always been fascinated by the human mind. There’s still so much we don’t fully understand about the mind and so many possibilities for research and discoveries to be made. This to me is really exciting, and I want to be a part of research that can be applied to helping people. I became interested in neuroscience when I took NEUR1001 as an elective in my second year. I love neuroscience because it provides a higher resolution to some of the things I was learning about in my psych classes and it fills in a lot of blanks.

What are some of your favourite bands?
Bombay Bicycle Club are really important to me. Other favourite bands include Alpine, Pity Sex, Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Now, Now, and Chvrches.

Who is one person you look up to?
My mother because she’s one of the kindest and strongest people I know. She would bend over backwards to help somebody and always does the right thing, she isn’t afraid to stand up for what she believes in.

Who are your top three feminist/female icons?
1) Amy Poehler, her YouTube channel is like a feminist heaven, 10/10, would recommend. It’s a channel of videos of her interviewing and celebrating girls and feminists who are changing the world, as well as videos of what it’s like to be a girl in other parts of the world, and videos of her just talking about different topics like body positivity, friendship, and makeup. It’s something I wish I had when I was in high school.

2) Hilary Clinton, the HBIC, because what’s not to love about any politician who believes in political, social, and economic equality for women and has been pushing for it since she was in university herself.

3) And this is probably a cop-out but most of the people in my everyday life are my feminist/female icons, especially women in my family, friend circle, and “girl gang”. I’m very fortunate to be surrounded by such smart and inspiring women.

Favourite spot on campus?
Rooster’s is my favourite place to go in general to hang out and study, they have best coffee on campus.

What are your recommended TV shows to binge watch?
The Office, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Arrested Development, The Inbetweeners, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Six Feet Under are all shows that have, at some point, ruined my sleeping pattern.

What is one thing people may not know about you?
I’ve never actually seen Space Jam and now I’m afraid to watch it in case it doesn’t match up to everyone’s hype.

Describe your perfect day.
Any day that involves any cute dog with a cute face.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
In ten years, I hope to see myself working as a clinical psychologist, doing research and maybe working in a hospital. I wouldn’t be upset if I was doing so in England and had a family and a French bulldog to come home to.

Samantha Lapierre is a 4th year Communications student at Carleton University! She considers herself the sixth member of the Spice Girls and has an unhealthy love for One Direction, cheese platters and daytime talkshows. One day she hopes to be a television doctor, but for now she is happy to be a contributor for HerCampus Carleton!Tweet her at @samanthamarg
Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.