Jenna Lambert ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Jenna LambertAge: 24Hometown: Harrowsmith, OntarioDegree: Communications with minors Psychology and Philosophy

What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned in University?

Through University, I’ve learned the value of networking. Especially in these final years, it’s been emphasized and re-emphasized as an important tool for finding and securing a career after graduation. 

What is something about you that people don’t know?I am deathly afraid of caterpillars. And I love giraffes. My favorite food is dill pickles.

What are your best qualities?

I work hard and I don’t give up, which has contributed to my success in university, and has helped me to face and overcome many obstacles with a smile and a positive outlook. I love people. I am dedicated and loyal – my friends know me as someone they can always count on, and people in general know me as someone who is sincere and cares about what is going on in their lives.

How do you deal with conflicts and bad days?With a calm, rational mind and persistence. I like to work through conflicts right away, to resolve issues promptly and then get on with the day. I’m not one to hold grudges. If a grey cloud persists, I usually put on my Beats and just get lost in my favorite tunes.

What are some qualities that stand out in a guy?

A bright, easy smile and sincerity.

Any advice for students entering their final year?

If you’re a COMM student: be sure to step outside the ‘third year’ box and take advantage of all of the awesome courses! Additionally, and just in general, I would really recommend planning ahead so that you can cut your fourth year down and only take four courses per semester.

And advice for students entering first year?

Try not to stress too much. First year is important (if you want to get into second year), but it’s not the end of the world if you fail a course. Prioritize so that you’re not cramming too much. Don’t forget to get involved and have fun. And remember, alcohol is completely over-rated. When you can go to a party sober and still have fun, you’ve got it made.

What would you do differently if you could do it all over again?

I would’ve been more outgoing and tried to make friends in my first and second years. When I came to Ottawa, I came with five on my best girlfriends, so I didn’t have any real need to make friends. Now that I’m in fourth year and class sizes are so much smaller, I wish I had taken more time to get to know more of the wonderful people in my program.

What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?

CAN’T stands for Certainly Are Not Trying.

What are your favourite things to do in Ottawa?

Biking around the Rideau Canal in the summertime. Go out wit the gals for an afternoon and cheep lunch at IKEA. A night out at Crazy Horse in Kanata. Take your best friend and purposely get lost on a series of buses – see where you end up!

A writer who lives for waffles, travelling and mostly in the moment. I think being able to captivate someone with your intelligence is raw and genuine. Read away my fellow friends, and anytime you can write, do write - they're always valid.