How to Sublet Your Appartment for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

BY SAMANTHA HALYK

It’s that time of the year again! Summer is approaching and you are wondering how you are going to sublet your place. Handing over your keys to a complete stranger can be a daunting task, especially if you are renting it furnished. Here are some tips on how to find a summer sublet and making sure they are a perfect fit for you and your home.

Firstly, check out your competition. Going online to subletting/house rental websites will show you how much people in your neighbourhood are charging. You want to set an appealing price for people but you also don’t want to get ripped off. By looking at your competition, you will know how much your place is worth.

Secondly, create posters. Use a short phrase at the top of the page, such as “Sublet $500,” for an eye catching effect! Make sure you include a few pictures of your place. Also, include key details that make your place stand out from the rest. Think about what you love so much about your house: is there a grocery story close by?  Bus stops, malls, liquor stores, etc.?  Including nearby amenities will help make your place more attractive. Also, add some colour to your poster. Having coloured pictures or even just large text in colour will help make your poster stand out!

Thirdly, create online advertisements to broaden your search. We live in an era that is dominated by technology, so take advantage of it! Websites such as Kijiji or Craigslist allow you to create free online ads. You can upload photos, a description, a map and the best of all people won’t know your email address unless you respond to their message. Online ads (even your campus housing website) open the possibility of hundreds of people viewing your pad.

Lastly, make sure you feel comfortable with who you choose. In the description of your ad, list attributes you are looking for. For example, if you don’t want someone with pets, who smokes and/or parties a lot, listing that will save you time in your hunt and help ease you into your decision.

Before you decide, make sure you meet with them in person. With online ads, there is the possibility of scammers. Meeting the potential renter will allow you to get to know the person you are renting your house to for the next few months. If you don’t trust them or don’t feel comfortable with the idea, than don’t be afraid of saying no. To find the perfect subleter you need to put in the time and effort. If you do that, you will likely have someone else paying your rent for the summer!

IMAGE SOURCE :

http://blogs.commercialappeal….

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.