freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How Couples Can Maintain Communication During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The world was suddenly cut off from physical contact and in-person communication when the coronavirus appeared and forced everyone to self-isolate. For people who were used to frequently communicating in-person, like couples, families, and friends, it was a difficult moment that would not only test each relationship but their communication as well.

Most couples were used to spending time and speaking with each other in-person but now that that’s been taken away, their romance has been put through the ultimate test of maintaining communication during quarantine –  here’s how they did it:

Prior to the pandemic, most couples did the usual: FaceTimed, texted each other, and hung out whenever possible. Some couples met their lover right before quarantine, so their quality time was cut short in comparison to other couples who would spend time together a couple of times a week for months on end.

When we first went up against a global catastrophe, couples were forced to adapt to quarantine rules for the time being. They maneuvered through this roadblock by increasing their communication on FaceTime and through messaging and seeing their significant others once or twice a week. However, not everything was sunshine and rainbows in paradise: some couples experienced a severe strain in their relationship because they were unable to see one another.

Some couples didn’t experience the struggle that others did. Carina M., who’s been in a relationship with her boyfriend for nearly a year, stated that she was given the opportunity to visit her significant other while quarantining. This allowed Carina to continue her passionate love affair whilst being as clean and considerate as possible.

What came out of coupling in quarantine was something greater than anticipated: strength. A lot of couples found that having to adapt their communication to fit quarantine guidelines actually strengthened their relationship. Since most couples in quarantine were new, they found that having to find various ways to communicate outside at the beginning of their relationships fortified their connection.

“I think we’ve always had a strong relationship but it definitely made it stronger cause we had to figure out that shit out at the beginning of our relationship when things were fresh and we were supposed to be in the honeymoon phase,” Carina commented.

In addition to finding various communication methods, couples got the opportunity to learn more about themselves and each other during unusual circumstances. This gave them the opportunity to grow as a couple and nourish their relationship into something greater and healthier while being patient with one another during the process. But would they permanently bring these newfound skills into their relationship as things began to ease up?

To put it simply, the answer depends on your circumstance. Carina believes that the communication in her relationship is already strong and they’re ready to move on without any more reminders of this horrendous year.

Communication is truly the most important aspect of any relationship. It allows you to develop a deeper understanding of your significant other while being able to identify what you like and dislike about the relationship. It builds a foundation of trust and gives room to articulate any misunderstandings or feelings that may arise. No matter what kind of relationship you’re in, whether you’re in love with someone, talking to your best friend, or discussing things with your family, always remember:

Communication is key.

Laury Gabikini

Carleton '23

Laury is a third-year student at Carleton University majoring in Communication and Media Studies with a minor in English Literature. When she isn't busy writing essays and watching lectures, she spends time reading, writing, watching YouTube videos, or whipping up a new recipe she found on Google.