HCCarleton’s Valentine’s Day 2013 Style Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

BY VICTORIA DUBREUIL

It’s that time of year again ladies! Valentine’s Day, the holiday loved by many and dreaded by just as many. But with February 14th fast approaching, some of you out there may be stuck trying to find that perfect outfit. You don’t have to have a hot date to have a great Valentines day though. I am going to give you four options that will hopefully inspire you no matter what your plans entail.

If you are one of the lucky girls who has found her Prince Charming this Valentine’s, then this outfit is for you. This outfit is basic on the bottom with a pair of black skinny jeans and classic nude heels. On the top the white peplum top adds some flintiness and the red blazer adds attention-grabbing colour. To accessorize, keep it simple with an oversized watch and a simple gold necklace.

Just because you don’t have a date on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean that you have to sit at home feeling sorry for yourself. Grab a group of your best girl friends and hit the town. Put on a bright eye-catching dress like this red one below and pair it with a pair of black pumps. These ones are from Christian Louboutin, but since that is probably not in every university girl’s budget, any pair of black heels will work. For jewelry, stack up multiple bracelets for a layered look and a cute pair of gold heart earrings to be festive. Now if you and your friends aren’t down to go out, try this cozy casual alternative which is perfect for dinner and shopping. This grey sweater with a heart on it is festive while still being super comfy and the jeans give the outfit a very relaxed vibe. Try to pick out a pair of shoes that pick up on the colours in the sweater, like these grey and pink sneakers from Vans. For jewelry, don’t overdo it, a simple silver bracelet and earrings will work just fine.

Now I said before, just because you’re single doesn’t mean that you have to stay in and feel sorry for yourself. But, it also doesn’t mean that you can’t. If you are feeling bummed out about a recent breakup or wishing February 14th didn’t exist then this outfit is perfect for you. You are staying in so there is no need to impress anyone so stay comfortable in your favourite pair of yoga pants (these ones are from Victoria’s Secret), a sweatshirt and a cute tank top. Curl up on the couch and watch your favourite movie. I suggest staying away from the rom-coms. 

No matter what Valentine’s Day brings your way, you can now look stylish doing it! And remember collegiettes, Valentine’s Day is not just for cute couples. You can still have a blast spending time with those that you love, whoever they may be. 

PICTURE SOURCE: http://www.polyvore.com/valentines_day_any_way/collection?id=2282589

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.