jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Get Productive! 12 Tips to Cure your Boredom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

We live in a society where technology has admittedly taken over. Our free time is often spent scrolling through Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or whichever platform you prefer. Basically, we spend our time looking at everyone else’s highlights, and wondering how we can make ourselves better instead of actually using our scrolling time to invest in ourselves. Hell, we even date online now.  Next time you’re bored, instead of scrolling mindlessly through the ‘gram, try using your time to do something to invest in yourself. We’ve put together some ideas for you:  

1. Listen to a podcast

Photo by Mohammad Metri on Unsplash

There are so many out there. You can listen to a podcast and scroll the ‘gram at he same time!  Not sure where to start? 

The Guilty Feminist – A comedic podcast made to speak about issues surrounding feminism, bringing in several guest speakers to touch on the subject. 

Ted Talks – You can find any topic ever with this podcast. Choose your preference and listen to it. 

Mind Pump – A great source of entertainment if you want to hear the truth about anything to do with fitness. 

She Thrives Radio – Surround yourself with positive vibes on how to be more productive mentally and physically. 

2. Take a bubble bath and read book 

Maybe you’re not a bath person and that’s fine. But once in a while, a nice bubble or Epson salt bath is actually good for relaxing your muscles. Leave your phone behind and get your eyes in the pages instead. 

Photo by Holger Link on Unsplash

3. Phone your mom 

Sometimes life can get dull, and mom always has something mom-like to say to brighten your day. Mom is there to pass information onto you and no one is as wise, or has as much life experience as mom. 

4. Watch YouTube tutorials 

Photo by Christian Wiediger on Unsplash

Why can’t YouTube be educational. Maybe watching cat videos, or celebrity videos isn’t the best idea to stay productive, but there are a lot of YouTube videos that can teach you something new. Need ideas on where to start? 

Makeup tutorials 

Photo editing hacks 

How to engage your IG followers 

How to decorate for the next holiday 

Baking hacks 

Home workout ideas 

5. Try a new hobby 

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

A hobby can include anything, like sewing, running, wood-working, fencing, etc. Start by picking an activity your familiar and comfortable with, and work you’re way up. 

You never know where a hobby can take you. Maybe you’ll choose one that can provide some extra income. 

6. Create a budget 

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

It’s no secret that our generation has the most financial anxiety in history. We’re strapped down by student loans and astronomical property values. But, we are also one of the most self-indulgent generations. We want what we want, when we want it. 

Budgeting can go a long way.  Not sure where to start? Here’s a couple tips. 

Pull out a piece of paper and write down your monthly income. Under it, make a column that includes all of your necessary expenses and a column for all your unnecessary expenses. Figure out how much income you have left over and how much you can realistically save a month.

Also, consider opening a savings account and setting that amount to be automatically transferred each pay cheque. Don’t forget to include some room for yourself to get a coffee now and again, and go for a night out. 

7. Plan your next holiday 

Photo by Ishan @seefromthesky on Unsplash

Maybe this isn’t even realistic for another year, but you can start researching places that you would want to go, reading travel blogs and reviews and budgeting accordingly for it. 

8. Read a book

Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash

Step away from the Netflix and pick up a book. They can just as, or even more entertaining than a movie or TV show. You’ll find you can get addicted quickly, and you’ll never want to put it down. 

Next chapter please. 

9. Organize something 

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Studies have proven if you live in a messy environment, it can lead to problems in your mental health. Take it step by step: clear out one dresser drawer per day, organize your desk, or even make your bed. It can lead to a better you. 

10. Take a nap 

It’s okay to take nap now and again. Our brains are always on overdrive, so especially if you’re bored, you should take a nap to pass the time. 

Photo by Vladislav Muslakov on Unsplash

11. Learn a language 

There are some great online resources to help you learn new languages on your own. IOS and Android have free apps like Duolingo and Busuu you can use on your phone for convenience. 

Photo by 金金 陶 on Unsplash

If you ever go to the country where you’ve learned the native language, you’ll be able to communicate with the locals. 

12. Go on that date you’ve been putting off 

Maybe you’re blatantly not interested in dating, but sometimes we even forget to date our friends. Instead of FaceTime-ing them, how about going and actually having some face time?

Photo by Joshua Ness on Unsplash

The next time boredom hits, you’ve got the tips above to turn to. Don’t be afraid of moving out of your comfort zone and trying something new. You might surprise yourself. 

Jana Lee Morris

Carleton '17

Jana is a Canadian native who ventured overseas and landed in the United Kingdom after graduation. Having achieved a degree in Visual Arts and English, she seeks to pass her passions onto the next generation; teaching in an English school. She is passionate about empowering individuals, has a deep love for food, and can often be found in her natural habitat in the classroom teaching, or in the gym training for powerlifting. On weekends and breaks, you can find her travelling and exploring new cultures, probably with local cusine in hand. Most of all, Jana is passionate about leanring, and ensuring everyone has the opportunity to learn - including herself. Soon, you will see her entering her eighth year of school to finally obtain a master's degree; four degrees later. If you want to follow along, you can find her on Instagram @janaleemorris_