5 best Halloween Movies To Watch This Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.
Hocus pocus

This is an all-time classic. If you were a Disney Channel kid (like me), then you have definitely heard about this movie that would come on every October without fail. In this movie, a group of teenagers bring back to life three evil witches and have to fix their mistakes before Halloween night ends. It is a super light-hearted and fun movie to watch with friends or family. This was a must every Halloween night at my house growing up.

Coraline

If you want to get into the fall/Halloween spirit but don’t want to watch anything super scary, then this is the movie for you. This movie follows Coraline as she moves into a new house and finds out a secret door with a new world on the other side.

This is honestly one of my favourite movies of all time. I am a big fan of the stop-motion animation style and the overall aesthetic of the film. Although it isn’t situated around Halloween, it definitely has a spooky vibe to it.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

To be honest, I am confused if this movie should be classified in the Halloween or Christmas category but it will always feel like a fall movie to me. In this movie, Jack gets bored of Halloweentown and steps into Christmastown, where he decides to take over Christmas and mess it all up.

This is such a comfort movie from when I was a kid. Although the majority of the movie talks about Christmas, it has a spookier tone to it that has always made me think of it as a Halloween classic.

Scream

This movie is better if you are into the jumpscare type of horror film. It isn’t super scary but it does revolve around a serial killer. It follows a group of teenagers in a small town as a serial killer who hides behind a mask starts attacking their town.

This movie has that great 80s nostalgia aesthetic and is perfect for the Halloween spirit. There is a whole franchise around Scream, but the first one will always be my favourite.

Meredith Kress-Converse And Fallen Leaves
Meredith Kress / Her Campus
get out

The last movie on the list is Get Out. This movie follows the main character Chris as he meets his girlfriend’s family for the first time. He then realizes they are not as nice as they seem and are hiding a deep secret.

This movie is for people who enjoy scarier films. I am definitely no horror fan so this is as scary as I will go. However, this movie is absolutely fantastic and it has a deeper message behind it. Jordan Peele is a great director, and this movie will definitely leave you with a creepy feeling after watching it.

These are some of my movie recommendations for this season. I am very excited about this Halloween season and hope you enjoy these spooky movies too!

Andrea Leon

Carleton '26

Andrea is a Social Media Team Member at the Her Campus chapter of Carleton University in Ottawa. She manages and creates content for this chapter's social media, such as Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter. Beyond Her Campus, she is a second-year student in the Communication and Media Studies program. She is originally from Mexico and moved to Canada for school. Andrea is very passionate about women's issues and loves writing for Her Campus. She loves being involved with the media and entertainment world. In her free time, she can be found reading, crocheting, and listening to Taylor Swift. She also loves walking around the city and visiting cute coffee shops!