From Filters to Hashtags: Everything You Need to Know about Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

If you’re a hipster or friends with a person who has an iPhone, you are probably aware of the magical powers of Instagram. In case you’ve been living as a technological Luddite for the last couple of years, Instagram is, among other things, an incredibly addictive iPod/iPhone and Android application that allows you to share your photos with other Instagram users. It is kind of like Facebook for people who really, really enjoy putting selfies and pictures of food for the world to see. As a self-proclaimed Instagram addict, I give you, dear reader, four tips on using Instagram correctly. Quasi-photographers: take note.

1. Don’t over hashtag – I cannot even stress this enough. I find over-hashtagging to be unnecessary and incredibly annoying. While hashtags ARE useful when you are using them to describe, say, a location of a photo; they are not useful when you are picking out small, insignificant specifics. For example, let’s say you take a photo of yourself (also known as a selfie) wearing a pink shirt and you’re smiling. Hashtagging your selfie with #selfie is acceptable. Hashtagging your selfie with: #self #me #blonde #girl #tall #greeneyes #happy #pretty #lovely #pink #shirt  #smile (etc etc) is distracting and pretty ridiculous, to be honest. Keep your hashtags to a minimum. Your followers will thank you.

2. Pick appropriate filters – Filters are an awesome way to make your Instagram photo pop. I am very fond of filters such as Amaro, Earlybird and Nashville, but some (such as Kelvin) seem way too over-saturated for any photo! Pick ones that seem best for the photo and can enhance them even more. Instagram is even adding new filters with every new update, it seems!

[pagebreak]

3. Be aware of your privacy – Privacy settings are something you should take advantage of for any social networking site. Be wary of Instagram’s option for you to enable PhotoMap. While it would be interesting to use if you were travelling, PhotoMap literally tells the viewer where a picture has been taken….right down to the city and street name. This is the kind of information you probably would not want to be made known if you have a public Instagram account or if you take the majority of your photos in your home!

4. Have fun with it – Is Instagram a serious tool to practice photography? No! But it is still a really cool way to enhance your artistic side and create memories along the way. If you want to Instagram the food you are about to eat or your outfit for the day or a selfie: go for it. 

5. Explore your area – I love looking at different shots taken by Instagram users from around the world. I find some of the best pictures, however, are ones taken around Ottawa! Places like Parliament, the Market and anywhere downtown are beautiful anytime of the season and have so much Instagram potential! Some of my favourite personal photos have been taken inside the Peace Tower and waiting for the bus downtown. I encourage you to walk around Ottawa and see what you can discover!

Photo Sources:

http://asburyandasbury.typepad.com/.a/6a010535893544970c017d3ef41caa970c-800wi

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Instagramfilters.jpg

Samantha Lapierre is a 4th year Communications student at Carleton University! She considers herself the sixth member of the Spice Girls and has an unhealthy love for One Direction, cheese platters and daytime talkshows. One day she hopes to be a television doctor, but for now she is happy to be a contributor for HerCampus Carleton!Tweet her at @samanthamarg