A CU Perspective: Every Best Picture Contender at the 2023 Oscars and if They’re Deserving of Their Nomination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The 95th Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, March 12th, airing live from the Dolby Theatre at 8 PM ET. Jimmy Kimmel is returning as host for the third time after previously hosting the ceremony in 2017 and 2018. Furthermore, it was confirmed that all award categories are set to be aired live on broadcast, contrary to last year’s ceremony where eight categories (including Film Editing and Production Design) were omitted.

2022 was a grand year for cinema, with long-anticipated films finally reaching theatres after pandemic delays. However, the Academy has made some questionable choices with their nominees at this year’s ceremony, from robbing The Batman and The Banshees of Inisherin with Best Cinematography nominations to once again ignoring female directors in their Best Director category.

10 films were nominated for Best Picture at the 2023 Academy Awards, and not all were deserving. Here’s why every film in the category either deserved or didn’t deserve their nomination.

All Quiet on the Western Front

Erich Maria Remarque’s 1928 anti-war novel of the same name is often cited as “the greatest war novel of all time.” Netflix’s adaptation recounts this WWI story about Paul and his group of friends as they experience the horrors of trench warfare.

But the adaptation ignores many aspects of the book that make the story great. Paul’s inability to return home and reconnect as an average citizen is omitted, for example, leaving out a crucial element of his psyche’s deterioration. Nonetheless, All Quiet is the only international feature nominated for Best Picture and is a strong film for the average war-drama genre lover.

Verdict: (Somewhat) deserved.

Avatar: The Way of Water

James Cameron’s latest effort brings viewers back to Pandora thirteen years after its predecessor. “What really separates Avatar: The Way of Water is the legacy it upholds,” says Katie Simon, Carleton Film Studies student and former movie theatre manager.

“You don’t have to even like the franchise, but do not give it credit where it’s due is unfair.” Avatar: The Way of Water claimed the top spot of the year at the box office, and brought in $2 billion.

“James Cameron made history with the first movie, Avatar: The Way of Water was going to be a monumental movie whether it was actually good or not.” Financial success aside, The Way of Water does not offer a compelling story like the other Best Picture contenders. Much like its predecessor, the film’s technical aspects propel its status.

Verdict: Undeserved.

The Banshees of Inisherin

Martin McDonagh brings In Bruges co-stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson back together for this film about a dissolving friendship on a secluded Irish island. Through humour, irony, and lyrical dialogue, McDonagh crafts a story about the morality behind suffering for your art and leaving a legacy.

The Banshees of Inisherin has garnered nine nods, including four acting nominations and Best Original Screenplay and Best Director for McDonagh. The movie already won Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes, and such a poignant story with allegories to Irish history is a well-deserved and likely win for Best Picture at the Oscars.

Verdict: Deserved.

oscar 3679610 1920?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Elvis

A three-hour journey of visual sparkle similar to the rest of Baz Luhrmann’s work, Elvis, other than its stellar costume and production design, is a mediocre biopic on the King of rock’n’roll.

Though achieving substantial success at the box office in comparison to Luhrmann’s previous films, Elvis is achingly average. Austin Butler’s Oscar-nominated performance carries a film that is rife with pacing issues and lacking suspense.

Verdict: Undeserved.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Arthouse breakout Everything Everywhere became studio A24’s highest-grossing movie to date. Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan have already garnered awards season attention for their roles as a disjointed married couple navigating the multiverse. With a leading number of 11 nominations, Everything Everywhere is likely to get some well-deserved appreciation at this year’s ceremony, for its chaotic yet loveable characterization and themes.

“Everything Everywhere All At Once is an incredible film. Relatable characters, universal emotions, and outstanding visuals aside, EEAAO has a soul, almost human-like,” says Simon. “It’s so easy for people of all walks of life to feel the story as if it’s their own.”

Needless to say, Everything Everywhere subverted expectations and is a favourite for the Best Picture category amongst many.

Verdict: Deserved.

The Fablemans

Steven Spielberg’s semi-autobiographical drama follows Sammy Fableman on a journey through family conflict, moving cities, and his childhood dream of becoming a filmmaker. Spielberg’s film oozes with tenderness and familiarity.

A love letter to the art of cinema and propelled by stellar performances from Paul Dano and Michelle Williams, Spielberg is careful to never villainize any character when depicting the family’s breakdown. Though a box office bomb, this film ticks every box for a deserving, and typical Best Picture winner.

Verdict: Deserved.

Tár

Tár takes place in the world of symphonies, Juilliard, and cellos to unravel the downfall of Lydia Tár. Cate Blanchett’s decorated composer is about to reach the pinnacle of her career as the conductor for the live recording of Mahler’s Fifth Symphony.

Brimming with twists and excitement, Tár tackles topics in the fabric of modern society including cancel culture and separating the art from the artist. Blanchett turns in another stellar performance that many believe will win her a third Oscar. Tár is far from an admirable character, but there is so much to love about this psychological drama that could easily claim a well-deserved Best Picture win.

Verdict: Deserved.

Top Gun: Maverick

Tom Cruise reprised his role as Pete “Maverick” Mitchell from the original 1986 Top Gun film. This sequel soared to high box office earnings, and gained appraisal for its acting, technical achievements, and emotional direction, far superior to its predecessor.

Though unlikely to win, Top Gun: Maverick is amongst many critics’ lists for best film of the year. “I believe Maverick has done so well with publications as it was a highly anticipated sequel to a classic movie. Regardless of if the movie was phenomenal or not, it would have made a lot of noise with critics,” explains Simon.

“The fact that it was also a great movie in terms of directing, cinematography, and sound editing made it especially easy to love.” However, action-packed your-dad-would-love-this vibes aside, Maverick has little to offer other than a few hours of a fun-filled adrenaline rush.

“Is it worthy of Best Picture? I don’t think so. Could it be the fan-favourite movie of the year? Absolutely.”

Verdict: (Mostly) undeserved.

Triangle of Sadness

Triangle of Sadness tackles an “eat the rich” theme as a vacation on a luxury yacht takes a turn for the worse. Ruben Östlund’s drama won the prestigious Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, and a Best Picture win would not be surprising.

Triangle of Sadness is an enjoyable movie with intrigue and humour, that will leave you thinking about its themes for days after viewing. And of course, the irony of the Academy handing Best Picture over to a film that makes fun of the rich is something just ironic enough to actually happen.

Verdict: Deserved.

Women Talking

Sarah Polley’s Women Talking has an all-star ensemble cast of Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley and Frances McDormand to unveil a story adapted from the 2018 novel of the same name by Miriam Toews. The women of a secluded religious colony must decide whether to leave or fight upon learning that a string of sexual assaults in the community are being committed by men in the colony.

A story of sisterhood and unity, Women Talking delivers a poignant and empowering message with intelligent writing and stellar performances. Polley omits violent sequences, instead focusing on the lengthy discussions of morals and beliefs between the women. Though Polley was robbed of a Best Director nomination, a Best Picture win would be thoroughly worthy.

Verdict: Deserved.

Many films were snubbed from the Best Picture category, including: The Batman, Aftersun, and Damien Chazelle’s Babylon. Despite The Academy’s praise of mediocrity with some of their nominees, there are a few well-deserving Best Picture contenders. Whatever happens, Oscar ceremonies always promise an element of tantalizing surprise.

Alexa MacKie

Carleton '26

Alexa is a Carleton University student studying journalism and law. She hopes to have a writing job or attend law school after graduation. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies, reading, cooking, travelling, writing songs, and updating her Letterboxd.