Debbie Lu: Inspiration to Female Entrepreneurs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Debbie Lu is the CEO and founder of Pier Overseas Concierge Service, a business that helps international students adapt to life in Canada. Her Campus Carleton talked to Debbie to learn a little more about what inspires her. 

1. Why did you come to Carleton?  What set it apart from other possibilities?

I came to Carleton because it has the best school of journalism and communication. I chose Ottawa specifically because there’s less of a Chinese population here than in Toronto and Vancouver, therefore, it’s better for me to learn about the culture and improve my English skills.

2. When and why did you start your business?

I officially launched my business Sept. 1, 2013. I’ve always had the idea of helping international students because I’ve been through everything that they are going through and I want to help and give back to my community. I want to help international students connect with native English speakers and adapt to the new environment more quickly. I also want to help them overcome any difficulties they have in studying and living in Canada.

3. What makes you passionate about this particular facet of life?

I think helping people has always been my passion. I am passionate about helping international students because I’m one of them, and I get to share all my stories, experiences and even mistakes in my life with them to help them live a better life in Canada. It always makes me feel so good when they tell me that my stories have inspired them and they have earned from working with me. 

4. If you could describe your business in three words what would you say?

Inspirational, Educational, Practical.

5.  Do you have any advice for aspiring entrepreneurs in university?

If you have great ideas, make them happen! Don’t wait till everything is “perfect” because they will never be “perfect”. Taking action is key!

6. Did you encounter any roadblocks during the creation of your business?

I haven’t really encountered any big roadblocks but when I first started to think about helping international students, I wanted to write a book of my experiences studying abroad so I can inspire international students from China. I never really saw the business side of it until I met a group of very successful women who motivated me to turn this idea into a real business.

7. Is your business the product of inspiration? Did you have mentors that helped you along the way?

Absolutely! I am very fortunate and grateful of all the successful business owners I have met through work and at networking events. They are very generous with their help and have been my everyday inspirations in life and for my business.

8. What is the most challenging aspect of your business?  What is the most rewarding aspect?

I think the most challenging part of my business is for me to deliver my message and beliefs to the right group of people. I’m still working on letting more people know about what I do so I can help those international students who are struggling with studying and living in Canada. The most rewarding aspect is definitely when I hear people say how much I have helped them and they have progressed a lot after working with me. I just love that feeling when my clients value and appreciate what I do. It’s my fuel that keeps me going!

9. Do you have a favourite success story that has come from your business?

I have been helping this girl who just came to Canada from China to start her first year of university. She is in international business so the situation for her is even harder because not only does she have to deal with all the difficulties with speaking and understanding English, but she also has to learn French. She was very depressed when she first reached out to me and said that she had no confidence in herself. After a few weeks of working with me, she is now very active in participating in all sorts of activities on and off campus. She has gained a lot more confidence in herself and now has made friends with native English speakers who are willing to help her adjust life in Canada. I am really proud of her!

10.  How important do you think is travel to students?

I always love traveling, especially by myself. I think one can learn a lot by seeing different sights and experiencing different cultures. Traveling is also very relaxing. I find traveling by myself can help me organize my thoughts and map out future plans.

11. What separates travel from other life changing experiences?

I almost feel like I don’t have the right to answer this question because I haven’t really experienced a whole lot of other life changing experiences. But I think traveling makes someone learn a lot about so many different things within a very short period of time. Also because you have seen, heard and experienced everything while you are travelling, what you have learned from your trips will always stay in your mind.

12. What kind of culture shock does Canada inflict upon international students?

Mainly I think it’s the language barrier. The second one would be the food. Even after being here for three years, I am still not quite used to eating Canadian food. Chinese food is what I miss the most about home other than my friends and family. Moreover, I think people from different countries have different values and ways of seeing things. For example, in North American culture, individualism is more emphasized than it is in Chinese culture. That’s why I think it’s so cool to experience and learn about a completely different culture. It can change the way people think and sometimes their values over time as well.

13. What is the most difficult challenge for international students to overcome?

It’s definitely the language barrier! Before I came to Canada, I was very proud of my English. I got really high grades for my TOEFL and IELTS tests and I was also tutoring other people on their English at that time. I thought I wouldn’t have any problems when I came to Canada. But I was wrong. It was easy to speak English, but it was NOT easy to speak English well. The language is deeply influenced by the culture. There were slangs I couldn’t follow, jokes I couldn’t get, and references I couldn’t understand. It is because of the culture influence [that] speaking and understanding English become a lot more difficult for international students.

We think Debbie is an inspiration to female entrepreneurs everywhere.  If she can do it – so can you.

I am a third year student double majoring in humanities and English. I love to drink tea, talk to people, and write.