Commit to Fit: Cross Training 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Have you ever found yourself stuck in a boring exercise rut? You’re nodding your head in agreement because you are that person. Slaving away in a gym, doing the same thing every time isn’t working for you and you wish you had more variety. Cross training is your solution! Cross training includes using a variety of exercise routines and sports to work different muscle groups.

Always using the same, boring workout to pump those muscles is making your time in the gym feel like a prison sentence. It’s starting to make giving up and lounging in front of the TV with some junk food look more appealing too. But this doesn’t need to be your final decision.

As university students, we have access to a wide range of athletic clubs and facilities in which we can experiment with and find our preferences when it comes to exercise.

You can join the rugby team to get a good cardio workout, and even meet some people who are just as committed to fitness as you are. But be sure to make time for some one-on-one time for workouts. A mix of the two is what you can get with cross training.

Cross training is especially helpful if you enjoy running or doing other activities outdoors, which can become challenging during our Canadian winters. Indoor gyms don’t provide the same excitement that comes along with puffing and panting outdoors, but if you can circulate on the stationary bikes, treadmills and elliptical machines, and even use some free weights, it becomes a good challenge.

As we get older, sports like running take a toll on our joints because they are very high-impact. Therefore, by mixing it up with cross training, you can be kind to your body and keep exercising into your later years.

And, with cross training, you’re strengthening different muscle groups in your body, which will aid in building bone density. This is especially important for us girls who, as we age, are more at risk of developing bone related illnesses, such as osteoporosis.

So what’s stopping you from getting off the couch and getting healthy? Cross training can be the answer to your gym woes. Exercise is not about working hard at something you don’t like day in and day out. It’s about getting the most out of your workout through your favourite sports and routines. So take advantage of our advice and come up with a cross training schedule that works for you!

And remember to check out our other Commit to Fit blogs!

Sources:
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/health-in-your-20s
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cross-train
http://getfityou.com/is-optimum-nutritions-100-whey-protein-the-best-whe…

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.