Baby, it’s Cold Outside: 4 New Ways to Make the Most out of Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Baby, it really is COLD outside: Warm winter activities to warm your heart…And your toes, face, legs, arms…

It’s February and even though spring really isn’t that far away, it’s hard to believe the amount of snow still lingering, not to mention the wind chill that can send temperatures far below zero. On nights like these it can be extremely tempting to stay in determined to boycott winter and all of its misfortunes. But, with our wonderful city offering events like warm winter beer at local pubs, it’s worth the cold winter commutes to embrace the season (even if only a little!).

1. Dances at the Museum of Nature
    The Canadian Museum of Nature is holding dances until midnight with food and drinks available for purchase. The event titled, ‘Nature Nocturne’ is promoted with the opportunity to stimulate your mind, move your body and do something different. The dances will be held once a month on Fridays starting February 22nd. Grab your girl and guy friends and have a drink or two at a different and unique place to dance. Meet artists throughout the gallery and at the same time discover four floors of world class exhibitions. 
  1.  Clothing swaps
     One of my personal favourite ways to stay warm and cozy in the winter (or any other season, really) is to get a bunch of your girlfriends together for a potluck and trade clothes! Everyone bring at least three or four items and trade different pieces of clothes. Put some music on and open a bottle of wine and enjoy contributing to your new wardrobe. It’s fun, free and you can do it over and over!
  1. Cooking with snow
    You can’t get much more Canadian than this! The Guardian recently took to their blog to talk about the creativity that can emerge from cooking with snow. They use snow as a base for toffee to pancakes and, of course, ice cream. Who would’ve thought it would be surprisingly useful in the kitchen? Check out For the Love of Food for a recipe on snow cakes. In terms of whether or not snow is safe to eat, specialists sourced within the article say that freshly melted snow is generally considered to be safe without further treatment.  Have some fun this winter and take advantage of a fresh snow fall and mix things up in the kitchen.
  1. Warm beer @ Darcy McGees:
    Sounds crazy, but several Ottawa vendors have been experimenting with the recipe and have brewed a warm, winter’s blend. In fact, it’s suggested that beer should be drank at room temperature and some would argue that a warm beer is actually a preference that many would find more enjoyable than the usual promoted cold one. Next time you’re walking around the market looking for a warm beverage to calm your chilly nerves, try something different and unique to your taste buds with a warm and satisfying winter brew!

Sources: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/jan/21/cooking-with-snow