5 Ways to Upgrade Your Study Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

During the cold Ottawa winter it is tempting to wear your super warm and cuddly sweatpants with a well-loved Carleton sweatshirt on top. However, fashion forward collegiettes require a more flattering wardrobe. Whether you are going to class or hanging out with the roommate, here are some awesome ideas to look hot while staying warm and comfy.

Long Denim Top with Printed Leggings

Denim tops are a great winter piece because you can easily wear one or even two layers underneath them during the super snowy season. While being cotton and classic, they are also a little boring (being one solid colour with no real detail or interesting features). To spice up this cute piece, wear it with a pair of fabulous patterned leggings (like the leopard print ones in the picture) and a pair of black or brown boots! This is an excellent way to show off your style without overwhelming the outfit, as the neutral top and shoes will balance out the pop of colour in between them.

Slouchy Sweater with Leg Warmers

Those slouchy, almost-off-the-shoulder, long sweaters are the perfect match for your favourite leggings, jeans, or skinnies. As they come in many designs and styles they are extremely versatile. Plain knit sweaters (like the one in the picture) are easily paired with any design or colour of pants, especially ultra-dark wash skinnies. Sweaters with pictures, patterns, or lacy details add an effortless point of interest to the outfit, but must be paired with very neutral bottoms.  For those extra cold bus rides to campus, these sweaters also go perfectly with leg warmers!

Summer Top with Cardigan

You know that frilly, yellow, spaghetti-strap top or white lacy summer dress you wore almost every day in the summer? Well now you can bring them out of hibernation and wear it under a warm and scholarly-looking cardigan. Cardigans come in virtually every colour you can imagine and are generally very flattering on all shapes and sizes. With a pair of jeans you can take your favourite summer tops out of the bottom drawer and show them off once more! This style works best with jeans and a dark neutral coloured cardigan (so that the outfit isn’t too summery).

Sweater Dress with Opaque Tights

Recently opaque tights (those tights that are a solid colour you can barely see through) have surged back into style. So what’s the perfect way to wear them this season? Sweater dresses! Sweater dresses are awesome for winter since they offer a fitted and flattering shape, while still being made of warm comfortable materials.  Get tights that are darker winter colours (like a deep violet or navy) and pair with a black or cream coloured sweater dress—or vice versa.
BONUS: To better define your waistline these dresses can also be belted.

Big Sweaters with Belts

In the winter it is often difficult to find pieces that flatter your body as opposed to hiding it since a lot of winter clothing tends to be thick for warmth. Fortunately, there are these big sweaters (see picture) that have ties to define your waist, but are long enough to look amazing with leggings and big enough to cover whatever laundry-day t-shirt you have thrown on underneath. This type of sweater can be worn over virtually anything (except maybe sweat pants) and make anything look good. Also, if you have a belt that matches the sweater you can use it instead of the tie to accessorize!

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.