5 Ideas to Planning a Weekend for Yourself in November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Being a social butterfly can sometimes feel like a full-time job; every now and then you need some time off.  Relaxation is nice, but too often your planned “doing nothing” weekend turns into shopping with your girlfriends or going out dancing, and before you know it Saturday has turned into Monday. 

Taking time off from the social world is essential in maintaining good mental health and inner peace. It is not selfish, rude or silly to crave some alone time.  Being alone does not make you lonely or anti-social, it also does not mean you have to sit quietly in a corner and do nothing. 

Here are five ideas to help you plan a YOU weekend in November:

1. Re-read the Hunger Games (or begin reading them if you have not already).  The release date for the trilogy’s second movie, Catching Fire is slotted for November 22nd, 2013 in Canada.  That leaves you more than two weeks to become caught up in the world of Panem and just as much time to become captivated by the Girl on Fire phenomenon.  If you find yourself craving more once you’ve devoured the novels, simply search Netflix for the first movie in the series. At the end of your weekend you’ll be ready to start a “revolution” of your own. 

2. November 11th is Remembrance Day in Canada. It is very easy to forget that there were important women and civillians who also left their marks on our history during the times of war. The most prominent female that comes to mind is Anne Frank, who was just a teenager when the Nazis invaded her village and she was forced to hide because of her religion.  Anne catalogued her story in a diary which was found after she was taken away to Auschwitz concentration camp.  Her struggle during these years was turned into many a compelling film – one of the best is: The Diary of Anne Frank (1959). Spend some quality screen time with one of history’s heroines; maybe it’ll even inspire you to start writing in your own diary (or blog) again.
  1. Nothing brings on a smile faster than baking while feel-good tunes blare and the sweet smell of cake permeates every room in the house.  Check out this simple recipe on allrecipes.com – it only requires four ingredients so you don’t even have to leave the house.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-White-Cake/Detail.aspx  Since it’s so easy it’ll be in the oven in no time leaving you a chance to plan out an elaborating decorating scheme. 

1. Begin your Christmas browsing and shopping online. Now is the best time to look and plan ahead – create bookmark folders for each person on your shopping list and select potential presents.  This way when December rolls around all you’ll have to do is click, click and order – no stress and certainly, no hassle. 

2. For those late nights when you’re not ready to go to sleep yet, take a leaf out of your childhood and build a pillow fort. Pull together chairs to support your blanket roof, use couches as walls and of course, your fluffiest pillows for the floor. 
    *Add some fairy lights for maximum fort atmosphere. 

Time alone is rare and should be treasured. Create memories solo, because as family and friend time is definitely a crucial aspect of social life, learning to be happy by yourself is just as important for personal growth. Do not be afraid to revert to your chrysalis butterfly and spend some time in that cocoon, because you deserve it. 

I am a third year student double majoring in humanities and English. I love to drink tea, talk to people, and write.