4 Educational Black Content Creators You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

One of the most important things we must do right now is to stay informed, and watching educational content on YouTube is free and easy. It’s crucial to have an intersectional perspective when discussing social movements, feminism, systems, culture, and social issues, which is why I recommend these content creators. They support the content of their videos with research and reliable material. It’s important to note that these videos are supposed to be a starting point to learn and educate yourself. 

Princess Weekes

Her videos range in topics like feminism, race, and pop culture. Princess’ videos offer an opportunity to analyze the media we consume from a different perspective. Her videos often compare a piece of media with a social issue, illustrating her points. She examines a show, character, movie, and real-life situation and then links it back to an issue, concept, or representation of our society.

Here are some videos I recommend:

F.D Signifier

His videos focus on race and media. F.D Signifier examines prominent figures, racism, politics, the manosphere, and media through an insightful and educated perspective. His content is a great starting point for understanding issues and realities.

Here are some videos I recommend:

Khadija Mbowe

Their videos include pop culture, feminism, politics, media, and society. Khadija addresses current popular discussions and offers arguments supported by educational material. Their series, You Can Always Change Your Mind, invites the viewer to keep an open mind and, as the title says, have a chance to change their mind.

Here are some videos I recommend:

Shanspeare

Their videos delve into politics, social media, popular discussions, media, pop culture, and feminism. Shanspeare explores various themes through educational material, research, and nuance in their engaging and fun videos. Their video production is amazing, and they always dress up and thematize the video depending on the topic.

Here are some videos I recommend:

Ana Maria Cadena is an events team member at the Her Campus at Carleton chapter for the 2023/24 year. Her role entails helping design, plan, and host events that engage HCC members and the larger Carleton community in the mission and values. She’s also one of the writers for the chapter and has an interest in writing about life and experiences. Ana is currently a first-year student in the Journalism BA, and she’s also doing a minor in Sociology. She’s an aspiring journalist and writer. One of her goals as an events organizer is to support students by planning events where everyone feels comfortable, accompanied, and included. Ana has had a lot of past experiences in organizing events for her community. For instance, she was vice president of a Girl Up chapter in her high school last year. While in this position, she organized conferences, sales, discussion groups, and events where the students at the school could feel welcomed. She was also a co-creator and director of a podcast called “ya lo has hablado?” where students interviewed specialists on current issues related to mental health, feminism, and relationships. As director of the podcast, she also acted as editor and interviewer. Ana likes to immerse herself in different worlds in her free time through her love for books. She also likes to watch video essays and deep dives on various topics of her interest. Finally, Ana is a very passionate person, not only about what she writes but also about everything she does.