This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Welcome to the winter semester, Ravens! As school responsibilities start rearing their heads again, it’s important to be prepared for the work to come. If you’re anything like me, it’s next to impossible to work at home or in your room where a comfy bed is in such, such close reach. I have to trek to campus if I have any hope at all of completing work properly and in a timely way! Over the past four years (give or take one online year), I’ve studied in my fair share of spaces at Carleton. I think this gives me a decent foundation of knowledge for good study spots around campus. Seeing as I graduate soon (fingers very much crossed), I figured it was time to share my top four study spots on campus!

1. MacOdrum Library:

The classic! If someone brings up studying together, chances are they’re referring to going to the library! While there is nothing wrong with the library, and it is a great place to get some work done — it’s not perfect. Because it’s, well… the library, so it’s well populated basically all the time. Plus, some construction to the 4th floor (the classic group study floor) has disrupted the amount of seating possible so it can be hard to find a single spot, let alone a table for a group study sesh. The study room booking tool is super useful to guarantee a spot, though! There are also lots of charging ports around, printers if your professor likes work turned in by hand, and helpful library staff. 

2. Nicol Building:

I love noise in the background while I work, so this bustling new building is the perfect place to study for those who enjoy taking some people-watching breaks or the murmur of chatter. Also great for group meetings! Because the building is new, it’s quite fancy and nice on the inside, which is a nice bonus, however; there aren’t many charging ports except for on some walls. This building is probably one of the louder locations on this list, and a lot of that is caused by the fact that it’s always busy. So to sum it up, if you’re able to snag a spot, Nicol is great but don’t put all your eggs in one basket just yet!

3. Loeb Building:

I don’t study here a lot, and I’m honestly not too sure why! Loeb is one of the less busy buildings on this list. There is a lounge area on the second floor with nice windows and plushy seating, making it the perfect place to hunker down for a long study session. Large booths also allow for optimal group work areas. It’s quiet, due to the lack of constant traffic, so Loeb is a perfect place for those who prefer a silent workspace. If this area is busy, fear not! There are lots of tables on the first floor, although the area is less cozy. There is a microwave there, though!

4. Residence Commons:

For me, finding a consistently good place to study can be almost as hard as the assignments themselves. That said, I spent the majority of my first year working in the residence commons building. Although it tends to lean on the busier side, there are cushioned chairs which makes it more comfortable to sit for longer periods of time. Being so close to the cafeteria, Starbucks, and the convenience store also provides easy snack break options. The best part about this study spot, to me, is that it’s 24 hours. The residence commons building is always open, so there is always a place to study if you’re more of a night owl. 

If you agree, disagree, or know of a place I didn’t include, let me know!

Leila is a 4th year journalism major at Carleton University, and Social Media Executive for Her Campus Carleton ('22-'23). She can often be found reading, loves everything about rom coms made before the year 2010, and is consistently a maker-of-questionable-decisions. Please send her movie recommendations or recipes on Instagram @leilaindiraa!