3 Steps to an Awesome Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

To anyone living in residence during university, you know that your dorm room is everything: a study spot, an area to hang out with friends after a trip to Oasis, and a place to pass out after studying 12 hours in a row for exams. That’s why it’s crucial to add that personal flair and make it your own…you’re going to be living here for an entire year, after all! No one wants to open their door to see a drab place with run-of-the-mill decorations. That’s why I’ve come up with a few creative and chic ideas for all you collegiettes out there who want to perk up your home away from home.

Step 1: BEDDING

Did you ever wake up in the morning before school and feel like you never want to get out of bed because it’s so comfy? Your dorm bed can be like this too (shocking, I know).

Most importantly, be sure to buy a good quality comforter. The majority of dorm rooms are pretty boring and need a serious dose of energy to make them like home. Buy a comforter in a bright, splashy colour or design that will immediately cheer you up. There’s nothing worse than a plain cream-coloured bed surrounded by gray brick walls! Here’s what I chose for my dorm room, and so far, I adore it.

Source: www.roxy.com

Also, when searching for seating when friends come over, don’t immediately buy a beanbag or lounge chair…it takes up way too much room that, truthfully, no one has. Stick with large, multi-coloured decorative pillows that match your bedding and can do double duty on creating a relaxing, heavenly bed and floor seats for visitors.

Step 2: WALL DECOR

Truth be told, I’m currently having a love affair with the new wall-art designs of all shapes and sizes. My favourite by far is the genius invention of creating funky wall chalkboards without the mess and permanence of paint. You can buy peel-off chalkboard art to go on your wall, which gives your room a unique and practical style and a place for busy students to jot down quick reminders.

Source: www.pbteen.com

Step 3: DIY (Do-It-Yourself) DECOR

For a DIY design, there are two projects I just can’t wait to try. The first is to make your own life-size map of the world…on your wall! Collect old, unused wallpaper or large pieces of scrapbook paper, cut out the continents, and use tape or a can of spray starch to spray on and attach your life-size world (don’t worry, it comes off with soap and water and doesn’t wreck the paint).

You can also use coloured duct tape to make your own wall art by spelling out your name or designing some faux-furniture. If you’re feeling like the ceiling needs some love, buy gauzy blue and white fabric and starch-spray them up in soft bunches. It’s perfect for those days when studying keeps you locked indoors and you’re longing for an escape.

Source: www.refinery29.com

Decorating your dorm room doesn’t have to be a battle. You can try your hand at a little DIY or even go to garage sales and decor stores. You’re living here for a year; don’t be afraid to invest a little effort. Speaking from experience, if you think beyond the traditional splattering of posters, you’ll be a lot happier with the results.

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.