This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Campbell chapter.

The time of the semester that every Collegiette™ dreads is just around the corner. Exam week is quickly approaching, and that means less time to cook healthy meals.  This means that what you do have time to scarf down is particularly crucial. Loading up on fruits and veggies is the best way to get your mind focused on the things that matter most, like wrapping up papers and studying for finals. Sitting down with a bowl of freshly steamed broccoli or a tossed fruit salad is just not manageable for many Collegiettes™ due to lack of time and lack of a full kitchen. A great way to still work in some vitamins, protein and minerals that are helpful in both focusing on your studies and maintaining a healthy diet is to add some sweet potatoes to your diet. The following are some tasty (and quick and easy!) sweet potato recipes for every kitchen set-up. 

Dorm Room/Microwave:

If you don’t have anything but a microwave in your kitchen arsenal, a great way to prepare a sweet potato is baked style via the microwave. Directions are as follows:

1. Wash the potato thoroughly, and dry. 
  2. Poke 5-10 holes in the potato using a fork or toothpick.
  3. Loosely wrap the potato in 2 wet paper towels. (Or you can place the potato in a veggie pouch, if you have one handy.)
  4. Microwave the potato on high for 5 minutes.
  5. Flip the potato and microwave for an additional 5 minutes. 

The potato can now be enjoyed with some butter, cinnamon, or sugar. 

Apartment/Stove:

If you’re fortunate to have access to a stove, then mashed sweet potatoes are a delicious option that you have. Directions for stove-top mashed sweet potatoes are as follows:

1. Wash the potato thoroughly and dry.
  2. Peel the skin, if desired, using a peeler or knife. 
  3. Cut the potato into 3 pieces.
  4. Boil the potato for 15 minutes, or until tender.
  5. Drain water from pot and mash the potato using a masher or fork.

Your mashed sweet potatoes are ready to be enjoyed with some butter, cinnamon or sugar.

Brittney is a sophomore Healthcare Management major with a minor in Spanish at Campbell University. She is active with Campus Ministries, including teaching a Bible Study and attending Wednesday night worship. Born and raised in the Bible belt, Brittney is from a small town, King, NC, in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. Some of her favorite things are cooking, watching movies, shopping, finding new recipes and creative things on the Internet. Brittney enjoys spending time with her friends and traveling as much as possible.