Macklemore’s Documentary Spotlights How We Can Stop Opioid Addition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

In a recent documentary showcased on MTV, rapper Macklemore (whose real name is Ben Haggerty) brought the spotlight to opioid addiction and the staggering increase in opioid related deaths.  The documentary entitled “Prescription For Change: Ending America’s Opioid Crisis” was aired on October 11.

Macklemore is shown in the documentary attending an Alcoholic Anonymous meeting in his hometown of Seattle, Wash. The stories of two people are mainly followed: a former addict and now helpful aid to end opioid addiction named Lindsey and a struggling heroin addict named Alana. Lindsey is shown helping Alana get treatment and even helps her get in- and get through- her third rehab stint.

Third time was the charm for Lindsey, as she is shown to be much healthier and embraces Lindsey in a tear-jerking reunion between the two.

In pauses between the story Macklemore is shown during a meeting walking around the White House lawns with President Barack Obama. Obama even admits to using multiple drugs and heavy drinking while living in Hawaii. However, he was, as he said himself, “lucky” to only find himself addicted to cigarettes, saying that the habit took him a long time to kick.

Obama acknowledges the epidemic- which as he noted in the documentary that the opioid crisis is “actually spiking. In 2014, we saw more people die of drug overdoses than car accidents, and the majority of those [deaths are from] opioids.”- and makes a promise that he will continued, after he is out of office, to fight the opioid epidemic.

“The good news is that awareness is starting to rise,” Obama said. “And, I’ll be honest with you, part of what’s starting to change is that the opioids crisis is getting into communities that are suburban, that are relatively well to do, rural communities, white communities, and people’s kids who are being affected are folks who have a voice.”

An important tool to what made the documentary a success was the tidbits of facts, provided by a female friend of Macklemore’s. Many times she mentions that not only is the opioid- or any type of drug for that matter- epidemic an addiction, but is also a disease. Macklemore revives that notion at the end of the 40 minute documentary, pleading with Congress and branches of government to help fight the disease.

The documentary comes out at a time where many people are losing friends and family to this disease. Obama stressed that he believes that every American citizen knows, and has maybe even seen, the crisis firsthand.

“I think that anyone who’s grown up in America has known people who’s struggled with it,” Obama said. “I’ve had a lot of close friends who ended up going through the recovery process… I wanted to send a message that seeking help is the strong thing to do.”

Obama and Macklemore, who sings about his own struggles with addiction on all of his records, created a documentary to draw people to the crisis to be an ally against opioids. It’s easy to get any of these drugs, like OxyCotin, Percocet, and Heroin, nowadays, as many cities have people dealing these drugs. However, what Macklemore, Obama, and even myself are trying to do is sweep it off our streets.

Drug busts are through the roof during these times. Young kids, people in high school and college, are getting hooked on these drugs to “make them feel alive” or give them some sort of purpose. As a recovered addict, who has been sober for over two years now, I can easily say that what you just read in that sentence above isn’t true. There are other outlets that are safer and won’t hurt your body and mind.

The Macklemore documentary, which I encourage everyone to watch, is available on MTV’s website. Take some time out of your day to educate yourself and become an ally. You could just impact someone’s life.

Rachael McKriger, a junior at California University of Pennsylvania, is a contributor to HerCampus. In addition, McKriger is the Editor In Chief of her college newspaper, The California Times. She also serves a sports writer and the News Editor for the paper. At Cal U, McKriger is majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Outside of school, McKriger is a sports writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News, Pittsburgh Sports Castle, Real Sports Entertainment Network, and Politically Incorrect Sports Talk (all websites). She covers topics including the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt Panthers Basketball, the MLS, the U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams, the NWSL, the NBA, the NFL, and other sports related topics. You can follow her on Twitter, @TheeMcKriger, and find her articles on Facebook by searching "Rachael McKriger: NFL/Soccer." McKriger can also be found on Facebook under McKriger Photography, a photography company she started in March of 2016.
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.