The Struggles of Writing an Essay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

With finals approaching chances are that you are going to have to write a paper for a class.  Writing an essay can be stressful and takes time and patience. With so many other assignments to complete, it’s easy to leave it for the last minute. Here are some struggles that many of us can identify with:

1. Seeing that time has passed and you have not made any significant progress.

Solution: This usually happens because of distractions. Find a place that is quiet, turn off the t.v. and put your phone out of reach. 

1. Realizing halfway through that you probably should have picked another topic.

Solution: Before starting you paper, make a list of possible ideas for different papers. Write down points that you can make for each and see which one is easier to write.

1. Realizing that you are going to have to stay up late and kiss your sleep goodbye.

Solution: Get energized. Drink coffee, or eat a light meal that will provide you with the energy. You can also do a short exercise routine to help you feel awake.

1. Looking for scholarly sources. When looking for scholarly sources it can be easy to feel overwhelmed.

Solution: Dedicate a few hours to simply finding scholarly sources.  If you print them out, organize them in a folder. As you are reading them, color code them in accordance to ideas that the sources are supporting.

1. Having Writer’s Block.

Solution: Relax, take a deep breath and clear your mind of other things and focus solely on your paper.  

1. Wishing you would have started sooner. You promise yourself that for the next paper you will not procrastinate.

Solution: Break down the writing process. If your paper is due in a week, use the first days to think of ideas. Spend a day writing an outline and another day looking for sources.

1. After hours and finally being done you breathe a sigh of relief until you try to print out your paper and realize that you are out of ink, paper or in a worse case your printer jams.
Cristina Galvan

Cal State LA

Cristina Galvan is a senior at Cal State LA. She is majoring in Television, Film and Media Studies with an option in Broadcast Journalism. When not working, or doing homework, she enjoys reading,spending time with her family, shopping and doing arts and crafts.
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez