The Season of Velvet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

If you are looking for transitional clothes from fall to winter this coming break, then turn your eyes toward velvet. As the weather gets cooler, we want to get rid of the light and breathable fabrics and move onto the dense and bold ones. Everyone knows knitted sweaters are the go to fabrics, but punch up your look with this eternally and timeless fabric: Velvet. This fabric not only gives off the holiday vibe, it also displays sophistication. There is no limit to what you can use velvet for: dresses, jackets, skirts, shorts, pants, shoes, and purses. What will you choose?

Dresses

This is most common article of clothing when it comes to velvet. Embrace the essence of the textile by experimenting with length, shape, and color.

Skirts

With a velvet skirt you can really play with style: edgy, preppy, classy, flirty, etc. Be sure to look for the appropriate pieces to go with the skirts while trying on different styles.

Shorts

An unexpected turn of events brings in the recently trendy velvet shorts. You can dress them up for a holiday party, or dress them down for a coffee date.

Pants

If you don’t have a pair of these, make sure to write them down on your wish list! Surprisingly chic, these can do wonders for your figure.

Jackets

A stylish alternative for a cardigan or blazer, velvet bring richness to your outfit and allows for a big pop of color.

Tops

If you are looking to add some texture and shine to your closet, a simple and casual velvet T-shirt can make that happen.

Shoes

Holiday shoes are so much fun! Don’t be left behind! Join the spirit with some fun statement shoes that will definitely be a conversation starter.

Roxana is a Senior at California State University, Los Angeles majoring in Fashion Merchandising and is in process of completing three other certificates: Retailing, Marketing, and Social Media. She is a fashion columnist for the campus newspaper, University Times, and is the former President of the Fashion Association of Design Students. As a fashion enthusiast, she follows countless numbers of blogs and magazines, loves food and cooking, dancing Latin music, and spending time with her family and friends.
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez