jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall and Winter Fashion Colors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

White

White on top of white on top of white. It’s my favorite color of the season, or always for that matter. I enjoy this color because it is a blank canvas that brings so many possibilities to your closet. Take advantage that it’s in style and buy yourself all kinds of white wardrobe essentials. If you would like to keep it clean and minimalist let the white speak for itself.  If, however, you want a little pop of color, give your outfit a splash through your accessories: blue clutch, orange heels,  pink necklace—the options are endless.

Sangria

When I think of this color, I think glamour. This evening wear color has crossed inside the casual wear this season. It can be an overwhelming color, so make sure you accessorize it correctly. Because Sangria is such a bold color, you might want to refrain from using too much jewelry.  In fact, a pair of earrings will do just the trick. 

Royal Blue

This really is a powerful color, and there is a reason why it’s “royal.” This color is for the bold since such a strong and eminent color begs for confident women to wear it. If the color is too much for you to wear as an ensemble, try wearing it with white or black. This contrast in colors still allows the royal blue to pop. 

Cypress Green

This is quite the powerful shade of green. It’s almost like army, but there is definitely no camouflaging when wearing this color. Its presence makes itself known. For this season, be sure to use other dark clothes along with it, as it creates a more cohesive look. 

Aluminum

This color is so exciting to me. It feels futuristic, blending in all recycled goods and metals into collections this fall. Since it is a very neutral color to wear, make sure you follow up with a nice dark lip or dark footwear. It’s the perfect neutral to wear this season.  

Bright Cobalt

This color hasn’t been on the runways for a while. It’s not cobalt necessarily, but like the name says, it is brighter. This slight brightness brings a new funky retro feel to Fall/Winter 2014. To make it work, stick to the grey black and white with this cobalt. If you’re feeling wild, try mixing it up along with purple, pink, or orange.

Radiant Orchid

The beauty of this color goes beyond its visual beauty. This shade goes well with virtually any skin tone, and apparently any season. The shades may vary so have fun with different colors of the same family.

Misted Yellow

Another color that is truly a spring color, hit the New York runways this season. It seems like we want fall to stay in sunny spring and summer. So remember to drop a hint of misted yellow here and there in your wardrobe. I would suggest to wear it as a complete ensemble instead of mixing and matching it with other colors, as it is gives the essence of fall.

Aurora Red

It is known to be a sophisticated, royal shade of red. It commands its presence and it demands attention. Although it’s not the only red that exists, you should look out for various reds this season… there will be plenty. A reccurring theme in these runways for fall is to wear it as a complete ensemble. 

Mauve Mist

Even though this is a spring color, designers played around with seasonal colors, and inverted this romantic and elegant color into fall and winter. There is something about the femininity of it that really pops out and identifies itself, even when the color is so light. When wearing this color make sure to stick to accessories equally light in color: beige, light blue, white, lilac, etc.

Cognac

With such a smooth color on the runway, I cannot wait to see the street fashion coming up. It’s such a casual color that anything would look good with it: blue jeans and cognac shirt, black skirt and cognac blouse, olive top and cognac pants. This color really feels like fall, don’t you agree?

Roxana is a Senior at California State University, Los Angeles majoring in Fashion Merchandising and is in process of completing three other certificates: Retailing, Marketing, and Social Media. She is a fashion columnist for the campus newspaper, University Times, and is the former President of the Fashion Association of Design Students. As a fashion enthusiast, she follows countless numbers of blogs and magazines, loves food and cooking, dancing Latin music, and spending time with her family and friends.
Angeline is a dual major in Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations at California State University, Los Angeles. Being a Staff Reporter for The University Times, a writing tutor, and a Golden Eagle Radio Talk Show Host for the Her Campus inspired show: "Head Over Heels" are among the many things she is involved with on campus. She dreams of becoming a news reporter someday like Christiane Amanpour or Ann Curry but until then, documents her journalism journey on her blogs, "The Roaring 20's" and "On the Record," which you can find at angelinebernabe.wordpress.com. When she's not busy, she loves to paint, read, eat at all the hip L.A. spots, and try her hand at cooking new dishes.