Artists On the Rise: IBEYI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

If you haven’t heard of this artist, then you are about to gain some knowledge. Twin Sisters Lisa-Kaindé and Naomi Diaz make up Ibeyi, which is pronounced “ee-bey-EE”. The sisters are of both Cuban and French descent, which radiates out of their beautiful and soulful music. Naomi plays percussion instruments like the Cajon and the Batas while Lisa-Kaindé plays piano. 

Naomi and Lisa-Kaindé grew up in France being influenced by modern musicians like Frank Ocean and James Blake. They were also influenced by the culture of their father: Yoruba. Ibeyi is translated as “twins” in Yoruba.

Ibeyi’s debut album was released July 28, 2015. Fans and audiences can see the duo perform in April at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. 

Kammile Whitener

Cal State LA '18

Film and Business Enthusiast. Love the best of both worlds. 
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez