Women’s Day Is Approaching! Here’s 6 Ways To Celebrate In Chico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Every year on March 8, we celebrate International Women’s Day. This is a day to celebrate everything it means to be a woman. It’s a chance to acknowledge the struggles and accomplishments of women throughout history, and to show appreciation for the women who’ve shaped you into who you are today. And if you identify as a woman yourself, it’s also a chance to celebrate your own growth, achievements, and existence! So, how can we celebrate?

visit local female-owned businesses

There’s a TON of local women-owned restaurants and stores you can visit to show your support. To get you started, here’s a few to add to your list:

• For Elyse (clothing store): 228 Broadway St
  • Bootleg (vintage clothing store): 126 W 2nd St
  • Urban Couture (clothing store): 245 Broadway St
  • Momona (restaurant): 330 Main St (Suite 100)
  • Unwined (restaurant): 980 Mangrove Ave
  • Sin of Cortez (restaurant): 2290 Esplanade

join or support chico state female-oriented organizations

While the process of joining and supporting can look different for every club or organization, consider showing your support for women-focused student organizations on campus! At Chico State, we’ve got the Association for Women In Business, Her Campus (shameless self promo), Panhellenic sororities, multicultural sororities, Women of Excellence, women’s sports teams, and more!

take a girl’s trip to the career center

Round up your girls and head over to the Career Center in SSC 270! You can take professional headshots for LinkedIn, schedule an appointment to enhance your resume, and explore different opportunities for professional growth. Taking it a step further, you could make a day of it and head to local secondhand stores to buy wallet-friendly business attire!

AppleEmploy ArticleHero Concept?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

attend a female-led workout class at the wrec

In my four years at Chico State, I still have yet to take a workout class at the WREC, and it’s definitely on my to-do list before graduation. There’s a ton of different classes offered no matter your interest/fitness goals and you can access the full schedule here. This Women’s Day, there’s a restorative yoga class at 2:15 taught by Molly that sounds like the perfect way to get some time in with your besties and add some wellness into the day.

picnic at bidwell with your girls

If the sun is out this Women’s Day, grab a picnic blanket, your favorite snacks, and your best friends and head to Bidwell! This is a perfect way to get some quality time in, and you could even bring games and a camera to take pictures. Who doesn’t love a picnic?

female empowerment movie marathon

This one might not be specific to Chico, but it’s a perfect way to wrap up your Women’s Day with your best friends and/or roommates. Compile a list of movies with main female characters, directed by women, or just focused on female empowerment and get to watching! A couple movies to get you started could be Barbie, Legally Blonde, Little Women, Lady Bird, etc.

While these are all great ways to honor the females in your life on this day, remember the history and contributions of women deserve to be honored every day, not just March 8. Happy Women’s Day to all of the wonderful women out there!

Marisa Cala-Keck

Cal State Chico '24

Marisa is the Founder, President, and Editor-in-Chief of the Chico State Her Campus chapter. A double major in English and Psychology, she is equally passionate about mental health and writing. She is an honors student, served as the 2022-2023 President of her sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, and has been on the Dean's List seven out of seven semesters thus far. Marisa has worked in a variety of mentorship roles on campus and currently assists students as an Academic Advising Intern. In her free time, Marisa loves spending time with her family and best friends, being around animals (especially her 3 cats and 2 dogs), binge-watching her comfort shows (the current top two include Pretty Little Liars and Gilmore Girls), reading novels, traveling, and singing! She loves Taylor Swift, spicy foods, Trader Joe's, Pinterest, and all things chocolate. After graduating this Spring, she plans to move to New York to earn her master's degree before pursing a career in the field of education, through which she aspires to reframe health and sex education programs to be more inclusive and to open in-school conversations surrounding mental wellness.