This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

If you’re like me, every morning when you wake up, you check the weather app before getting dressed. I’m pretty used to seeing sunshine all week because I’ve lived in NorCal for almost my entire life, but lately, I’ve been seeing clouds and rain. The weather is changing, it’s getting darker earlier, and seasonal depression is starting to kick in. Some people love the rain, and props to those people – but I’m not one of them. 

I cannot stand staying indoors and listening to the sound of rain. Honestly, it makes me sad. I would much rather be outside, feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin. However, as the seasons change and we move into the fall and winter months, my preferences just aren’t realistic anymore. Because of this, I’ve come up with some ways for sunshine enthusiasts to tolerate the rainy weather, and perhaps even enjoy it. 

Have a Movie Marathon or Binge Watch a New Show

One thing that is nice about the cold, gloomy weather is being able to snuggle up in bed or on the couch, eat a package of cookie dough or your favorite chips, and do nothing but watch movies or TV shows. If you’re on the hunt for new recommendations, I have been binge watching The Sex Lives of College Girls on MAX. It’s cheesy, but really good so far! Some other fall classics are Friends, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars (I also just rewatched all seven seasons), and One Tree Hill, which are also all available on MAX. If you’re more of a movie gal, there are plenty of options to choose from on MAX, like Jennifer’s Body, 13 Going on 30, Scream, and Crazy Stupid Love (my personal fave romcom!).

Have a Day Full of Baking New Recipes

Colder weather calls for entering your baking era! The pumpkin and apple inspired recipes taking over my Pinterest feed and Instagram Reels have led to me baking like crazy! Spending a day with ooey-gooey chocolate chip cookies and a warm mug of hot chocolate can make a gloomy day turn into a happy one! A day trying new recipes also results in a sweet treat for after dinner, which I know we are all loving these days. For some inspiration, these are some of the recipes on my to-make list! 

Pumpkin Swirl Bread, which is perfect to satisfy that sweet pumpkin craving, Maple Cinnamon Rolls, for a super yummy, pre-made breakfast, and Apple Dumpling Bake which I can attest to being AMAZING because my mom always used to make this when I was growing up! 

Read a Good Book

One thing that’s really difficult for me is reading for pleasure during the school year. I get so busy with assignments that I forget I can read for fun. With Thanksgiving break approaching quickly, I’ve started to search BookTok for some good reads I can enjoy during break. Even as a summer lover, I can admit that sitting under a big, cozy blanket with a good book while listening to the rain is a comforting thing to do!

Build a Fort

Okay… I know what you’re thinking. This does sound silly and immature, but can you imagine how fun it would be to build a comfy fort with your roommates or significant other? Imagine all the blankets, couch cushions and pillows all over your living room floor, surrounded by fairy lights, curled up watching a movie. It sounds appealing now, doesn’t it? You can make it cute and fun while matching your aesthetic. You could even play a bunch of board games, card games, or play on a Xbox or PlayStation!  It would be a very cozy way to spend a rainy day!

Journaling & Self-Care Day

I have found that journaling is a great way for me to express myself and my feelings in my life at any given moment. Spend the day doing things for yourself. You can put on a face mask, listen to your favorite relaxing songs, and begin to declutter your mind. I know this time of year gets very stressful, and let’s be honest– we all deserve a much needed break. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking a day for yourself, doordashing your comfort meal, and unwinding. 

I know how hard the changing seasons can be. Believe me, I struggle with this every year. But, we have to move forward and enjoy each day for what it is, whether that be a sunny, fall day in Chico, or a rainy, windy winter night. These are just a few ideas on how to enjoy those sometimes difficult rainy days that are approaching quickly!

McKenzie Kirsch

Cal State Chico '25

McKenzie (Kenzie) Kirsch is a third-year at Chico State, studying English Education in hopes of being an English teacher. She likes having fun and is also very serious about her studies as well. She is originally from a small town in Northern California called Wheatland, about 30 minutes north of Sacramento, CA. She loves the community of Chico and is very happy to be spending her college years here. Outside of school, she likes to bake, read and write, workout and hike! Chico is the perfect place to explore and meet new people. She is so excited to be a member of Her Campus and continue her writing journey!