Unique and Thoughtful Valentine’s Day Gifts for Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you struggle every holiday to top the last gift you gave your significant other. Whether you’re an early planner or a do-it-yourself crafter, this list of unique and thoughtful gift ideas is sure to help you make your partner feel loved and appreciated on Love Day!

Plan a date night catered specifically to your partner’s interests

This is one of my go-to gift ideas since it can always be something new and exciting! Starting with dinner at their favorite restaurant or cooking together is sure to set the night off on the right note. Next, you could go see a movie they’ve been talking about, go bowling or mini-golfing, or even to a concert of one of their favorite artists! You can completely personalize this night to be exactly what your partner loves. Whether it’s watching the sunset together with a charcuterie board or a trip to an amusement park, your partner will be grateful for the thought you put into planning an experience for you two to share. 

art print

Another great option for your significant other is a poster or art print to help decorate their room. A poster of their favorite artist, their favorite movie, favorite place, or even a print of something within their aesthetic are some options. RedBubble or Society 6 have some really unique options for every type of person. While it’s hanging in their room, every time they look at your present on the wall, they’ll be reminded of you!

scrapbook of your memories together

You can’t go wrong with this one! Printing out all of your favorite memories together for a scrapbook, or for a framed collage, is sure to make your partner reminisce on their relationship with you. This can be really thoughtful no matter how long you’ve been together. Whether it’s six months or three years, your significant other will love the trip down memory lane! You can always add in captions to the photos, love notes, or souvenirs from when the picture was taken.

gifts through the senses

This is a great gift that makes your creativity shine, as well as shows your partner how well you know them! Take your partner on a tour of their senses with a gift appealing to each one! For smell, you could give them a candle or bottle of perfume or cologne. For sight, a pair of sunglasses is a great option. For touch, you could do a wide variety of items but I’d recommend a soft pair of sweatpants or a cozy blanket for you two to cuddle up in! Taste could be a really fun one, allowing you to treat them to a date with a gift card, or some of their favorite snacks. For hearing, headphones, earbuds, or a custom playlist are all great options. Wrap these five gifts up, label them based on their correlated sense, and watch your significant other enjoy them!

engraved cologne or perfume bottle

This is another one of my favorite ideas from this list. This is an opportunity to give your partner something that you like as well. Of course, you can choose their favorite or signature scent, but you could also pick out a cologne or perfume that you like. Then, when you smell their scent anywhere else, you’re reminded of them as much as they’re reminded of you every time they put it on. Engraving it with a personal message reinforces the intimate quality of the gift, making it even more special. 

Funko POP figurine of yourself

This one is definitely unique and you can guarantee they don’t have this already! Funko.com lets you “POP! Yourself,” an exciting new feature, turning you into a miniature figurine perfect for a loved one. You can create just yourself or build the both of you for the perfect reminder of your relationship. On top of being a sweet gesture, it is sure to give you and your partner a laugh. You can add items to your figurine, as well, such as a pet, food items, or sports equipment.

At the end of the day, you know your partner better than anyone. Any gift or experience from the heart will be sure to make them feel loved this holiday! Happy gifting!

Rachel Ashorn

Cal State Chico '24

Rachel Ashorn is currently a senior at Chico State University, studying English and Creative Writing. Growing up in Elk Grove, just a few hours from Chico, she plans to trade her small-town roots for a big city following graduation. Rachel hopes to work in the field of publishing and copywriting. Through her studies, Rachel has developed a passion for non-fiction writing and poetry, planning to one day publish a memoir of her own. When she’s not in the classroom, Rachel can be found writing in her journal, getting a coffee, or trying new recipes. She loves spending time with her friends, whether that be cuddled up on the couch together for a girls-night-in, or going out dancing!