Tiktok Food Trends That Are Actually Worth Trying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

When coming to college and gaining a new sense of independence and responsibility you might’ve never previously had, you get to know yourself on a whole new level. I come from a family who absolutely loves to cook, so before college, I never really needed to fully learn for myself. Being class of 2020, I probably had too much time on my hands freshman year in my college apartment when school was all online due to the pandemic. I made it a point to take time out of my day to meal plan, grocery shop, and make some really good meals that I probably wouldn’t have put the effort into if it weren’t for all my free time at that point in my life. I fell in love with putting my music on and making food with the kitchen all to myself, and the compliments from my roommates who I shared the meals with definitely contributed to it all as well. Being forced into the responsibility of making your own food on a daily basis for the first time in your life can be a bit daunting, but a great place to start is with step-by-step recipes on TikTok. In this article, I’ll be reviewing the trendiest meals I’ve found from being on food-tok that I believe are actually worth the hype, so maybe you can start enjoying this hobby just like I did!  

Baked Feta Pasta

If you’ve been on TikTok for the past year, you’ve definitely heard of this one. Honestly, you can never go wrong when you put that much cheese and pasta together, and the best part is, you don’t have to be an advanced super-chef to make this meal happen! I’ve also heard it’s delicious with goat cheese as well, and I always add red pepper flakes to pretty much any pasta I make, so feel free to get creative with this one!

@feelgoodfoodie

Baked feta pasta with cherry tomatoes!! Recipe on blog • Inspired by @grilledcheesesocial 😘 #tiktokpartner #LearnOnTikTok #fetapasta #recipes

♬ original sound – Feel Good Foodie

Emily Mariko’s Salmon Rice Bowl

Among all her amazing recipes, everyone’s favorite Tiktok chef, Emily Mariko, and her iconic Salmon Rice Bowl definitely takes the cake for her most popular dish. Super yum and super healthy – count me in! This is another super beginner-friendly dish, as most of the job is just heating things up rather than actually cooking them. My personal tip: add a little bit of water to the rice before microwaving rather than putting an ice cube in there like she does. This will add some moisture and make the rice a bit more fluffy.

Marry me chicken 

Although this one may not be as popular by TikTok standards as the last two, I’d say it’s my favorite recipe I’ve tried from TikTok and is completely underrated. If you have a bit more time on your hands and are maybe in need of a quick restock on groceries, I would definitely go out to get all the ingredients for this dish. Eaten alone or over a bed of pasta, this rich and creamy one-pan meal will not disappoint! 

@gimme.delicious

Marry Me Chicken is one of the best ways to cook chicken breasts! Tender and juicy chicken breasts cooked in a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce – the perfect combination for an easy weeknight dinner. #recipes #marrymechicken #cooking #food #dinner #lowcarb #tuscanchicken #healthydinner #dinnerideas #chickenbreast

♬ Thing of Beauty – Danger Twins

Gigi Hadid vodka pasta

This one is one of the first recipes I ever made from TikTok and, honestly, it makes me nostalgic for my first rickety, old apartment in Chico. Nevertheless, it’s an oldie but a goodie and I still make it to this day. This spicy vodka pasta is a super quick and easy meal for when you don’t have too many ingredients to work with in your fridge that absolutely lives up to the hype every time.

Chopped Italian sandwich

It felt wrong not to include a sandwich, so I had to add this absolutely delicious chopped Italian sandwich. With the warm weather approaching (hopefully sooner rather than later), I will 100% be making this for sitting by the pool or the river for a refreshing and filling lunch.

Lasagna soup

Growing up in an Italian household, this one does hurt my heart a bit, but it has absolutely gained popularity on TikTok and was even considered the soup of the season by some last fall. If you couldn’t already tell with the recipes I’ve mentioned in this article, I think anything with a combination of pasta, cheese, and tomatoes will be good every time.

@heresyourbite

The long awaited Lasagna Soup! 🍝 I’m finally getting around to making this viral soup and WOWWW it’s insanely good! It honestly might be my favorite soup of the series! Let me know if you make it! Here’s how: 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about a cup) 6-8 cloves minced garlic, to taste 1/2 lb hot or mild Italian sausage (I used hot) 1/2 lb lean ground beef 2 T tomato paste Salt and pepper to taste 1-2 t Tony’s Seasoning, to taste 1 t dried basil 1 t dried parsley 1 t dried oregano 1 t Italian seasoning 1/2 t red pepper (to taste) 24 oz marinara 1/2 cup heavy cream 4-6 cups chicken stock, depending on how soupy you want it 1/2 lb Laguna noodles, broken into pieces Handful of fresh basil 1 cup parm 1 cup ricotta 1 cup mozzarella 1/4 cup fresh parsley Salt and pepper to taste 1. In a medium bowl, combine your parm, ricotta, mozzarella, parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside. 2. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat your olive oil over medium heat. Add in your onion, add a pinch of salt, and cook for 4 minutes. Throw in your garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 3. Add in your sausage and beef, breaking into pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook for a few minutes and then season with your salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, Italian, red pepper, and Tony’s. Cook until no longer pink. 4. Add in your tomato paste and stir. Cook for a couple minutes. Pour in your chicken broth and marinara. Bring to a boil. 5. Pour in your lasagna pieces, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until al dente, stirring occasionally. 6. Once your noodles are done, add in your heavy cream and fresh basil (torn). Adjust seasonings if needed. Stir, serve, and top with a dollop of your ricotta mixture. Enjoy! #heresyourbite #lasagnasoup #lasagnasouprecipe #fallsoup #fallsouprecipe #fallsoupseries #fallsouprecipes #souptok #souptiktok #foodtiktok #foodtok #easyrecipe #easyrecipes #easysoup #easysouprecipes #easysouprecipe #easysoups

♬ My Love Mine All Mine – Mitski

Cowboy caviar

Any of my roommates will tell you that one of my specialties when cooking is that I always find a way to put a bunch of different ingredients together, and it just works. Going along with this idea, I introduce to you… cowboy caviar – an amazing and healthy dip to put out when you have people over that can be thrown together in a matter of minutes!

@samanthabauchmann

COWBOY CAVIAR 🤠 INGREDIENTS: 6 roma tomatoes, diced 1 red bell pepper, diced 1 can corn, drained and rinsed 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed 1 small red onion, diced 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and diced 2 avocados, diced 1/2 bushel cilantro, chopped Sprinkle of garlic powder 1/4 cup lime juice 3/4 cup Italian dressing Salt to taste Tortilla chips INSTRUCTIONS: 1) dice and chop all ingredients needed. In a large bowl, mix together tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, black beans, red onion, jalapeños, avocados and cilantro. Sprinkle garlic powder over the top, add lime juice, Italian seasoning and salt. Adjust to your liking. Serve with tortilla chips. #easyrecipe #salsa #appetizer

♬ Summer Feelings (feat. Charlie Puth) – Lennon Stella
Bella Puljiz

Cal State Chico '24

Bella is currently a fourth-year student at California State University, Chico, who is thrilled to be a part of their emerging Her Campus chapter! She is pursuing a psychology major along with a double minor in child development in family relations, hoping to continue her education post-grad in a masters program in School Psychology. Along with being a member of Her Campus, Bella also is a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, part of the honors program at Chico State, works at The Well on campus, and has interned in multiple elementary schools. Through experiences and knowledge she has acquired during her time in these extracurriculars, she has gained a huge passion for mental health advocacy and awareness, even driving her to become the Wellness Specialist of Alpha Delta Pi. In her free time, Bella enjoys going to concerts, cooking, trying new restaurants, being outside, and traveling whenever she gets the chance to! While navigating all her options post-grad, she believes in the importance of self-care and finding creative outlets, and is excited to be writing for Her Campus to do so around such like-minded, empowering women!