My Chico Guide To Preparing For Galentine’s Day With Your Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, everyone – a time when love is in the air and every shop you walk past has red hearts flooding the inside of the building. Valentine’s, or in this case, Galentine’s Day! Whether you have a significant other to share this lovey-dovey holiday with or not, one of my favorite parts about this month is having that excuse to spoil myself and my best girlfriends and do cute and girly things with them, whether that be a fun outing or a cozy night in. Below are my top five favorite activities for this rose-colored glasses season.

1. Crush

You know and love it; the classic, fan-favorite Chico hit, Crush. This is by far one of the best things Chico has to offer, in my opinion, when it comes to fine dining. From the classy ambiance of the restaurant to the literal melt-in-my-mouth food, Crush is my favorite place to go when my friends and I want to go get a little dressed up and treat ourselves. This is the perfect place to hit if you and your fellow gal pals want to have a nice dinner filled with love. 

2. Movie Marathon

Okay, I know what you might be thinking – movie nights are sooo basic and overdone. However, with the tone of the romantic holiday and all, shacking up with your besties and watching some romcoms is just too perfect to pass up. You can go for the classics: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 10 Things I Hate About You, 50 First Dates, etc. Or, you can watch the (very underrated, IMO) movie, Valentine’s Day, which is like a billion different romance storylines put into one. Plus, you get to watch Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner’s romance on-screen- us Swifties all know about that awesome era, so who wouldn’t want to revisit it?

Another option – and this is personally my and my best friend’s favorite thing to do – is to watch He’s Just Not That Into You. This movie is more of a wake-up call for all of us who are inevitably a little “delulu.” It’s a lighthearted film that technically is a romcom, but will definitely have you thinking by the end, maybe he’s just not that into me… Remember everyone, if they wanted, to they would. Stay safe out there.

3.  DIY Spa Day

If you’re into self-care, especially around a holiday that can often inflict some uncomfortable emotions, grab your besties and treat yourselves to an at-home spa day/night. This can be so fun in so many ways – not only will it probably entail a trip to Target beforehand (and come on, who doesn’t love roaming around Target?), but you all can make it your own. 

Obviously, any self-care spa day must include your favorite face masks, along with doing some at-home mani-pedis. Hop on Pinterest, look up some cool nail designs, and try them out! If it’s a fail, you’ll get a good laugh. If it’s a dub, well…it’s a dub. Also, essential oils are literally essential for making this a relaxing, re-charging moment. 

4. Photo Shoot

Assuming the weather is nice (fingers-crossed), another super fun activity can be to have a little photoshoot with your friends! There’s nothing I love doing more than getting all dolled up, having a full glam moment, and finding the perfect outfit – adding a photoshoot into that mix is like a cherry on top! 

There are so many cute places in Chico to take photos, whether it be the classic parking structure plus elevator background, fun candid pics downtown, or finding an aesthetic, naturesque vibe around Bidwell. Not to mention, photoshoots can often boost one’s confidence, and maybe that is exactly what you and your friends need during this lovey-dovey season.

5. Cooking/Baking Party

If you are anything like me, cooking is one of my favorite things to do for not only myself but for others. It’s definitely a love language of mine and doing this alongside friends or roommates is the best feeling ever! This cooking/baking party can be Valentine’s Day themed, with making sweet treats such as chocolate-covered strawberries or brownies with pink heart sprinkles, or it can be just a whole plethora of delicious, comforting meals!

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

I want to ensure that this Galentine’s Day is full of love while accompanied by my best friends, doing things that we enjoy doing together/things that make us happy. This holiday is merely just the perfect excuse to spoil those you are close with and to show them how much you love, care about, and appreciate them. I hope this list prepares you and your besties well for the upcoming day, and that it is filled with nothing but joy!

Abbie Lee

Cal State Chico '24

Abbie is a fourth-year student at Chico State, expected to graduate in the spring of 2024. She is a journalism & public relations major with a minor in psychology and a pathway minor in gender & sexuality studies. She is very passionate about her academic interests and is grateful to continue her internship with Tehama Group Communications, Chico State's student-run PR agency. Within the internship, she works on two teams with two clients, one in which she is now an Account Lead on. TGC has helped her grow immensely not only as a person, but as a writer, editor, teammate and prospective PR professional. She was raised in Temecula, a city that neighbors San Diego. After graduation, she hopes to make her way back to Southern California, working in-house for a beauty or fashion company, as those are two things she holds a deep passion and love for. If she were to work in either of those industries, she hopes to find a company whose morals link with her own and are inclusive in all aspects. She is an active member in Chico State's Alpha Delta Pi, giving her the privilege of being surrounded by amazing, supportive women 24/7. Being in a sorority has taught her how important it is for women to stick together in any and all situations. That said, she is beyond excited to be working and participating with Her Campus and can't wait to watch it grow on Chico's campus!