This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Day arriving soon and the month of March being Women’s History Month, I wanted to share some of my favorite women-owned businesses that are integrated into my everyday life. These companies have moved their way into my daily routine and I hope they can make it into yours too!

1. Glossier

IMG 3595?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo Courtesy of Samantha Barth

One you may already know of is this renowned company that produces immaculate beauty products for everyone! Glossier has always gone above and beyond. They have begun to produce skin care products, perfume, and merch as well. This well-rounded company outputs amazing products that will definitely not disappoint. More specifically, their makeup products are not too heavy or overbearing, enhancing natural beauty rather than covering it. 

Glossier’s mission is to enhance natural beauty through its products. The products sit light on the face, appreciating the features that every individual has. They have many different products, from eyebrows to lips to eyes, assisting in enhancing each and every feature a person has. This woman-owned business wants to embrace each individual as who they are, creating products mirroring this objective. 

2. Osea

This is a brand known for its great skincare line. This woman-owned business uses safe, vegan, cruelty-free, and scientifically formulated formulas to ensure the best result when used. Osea’s main inspiration is the ocean. They formulate their products with seaweed as it is a naturally derived ingredient full of antioxidants, minerals, and nutrients. They use nonharmful, natural ingredients rather than ones that have the possibility of interfering with one’s health. 

This brand carries specific products to help tackle any obstacle you may be facing, such as dry skin, oily skin, or even combined skin. They also provide products that will aid with anti-aging as well. This amazing woman-owned business focuses on helping its audience achieve the healthiest skin possible.

3. Ouai

Courtesy of OUAI

The brand Ouai, (pronounced “way”) is known for its hair products. This brand targets specific kinds of hair and the “flaws” a consumer may find on their own. Dealing with thin and brittle hair? Ouai has a perfect shampoo and conditioner to help build back strength and protect your hair. The same goes for curly, straight, and even thick hair. Jen, the owner of this brand, wanted to make a one-stop shop for all her consumers and their needs, aiming to embrace everyone and all hair types.

Her hair care line is something that is personally integrated into my life, as the detox shampoo they have produced is amazing and leaves my hair feeling refreshed. Ouai produces great shampoo and conditioner but the scents they add to these products are phenomenal as well, leaving a long-lasting clean smell. This woman-owned business is targeted towards everyone and their needs, helping one head of hair at a time. 

4. Supergoop

unseen suncreen?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Sephora

This brand specializes in sunscreen products, meant for any occasion. They focus on superb and cruelty-free ingredients to defy the odds of the typical sunscreen you may encounter at a drugstore. Supergoop offers a formula that is guaranteed to last and not leave a white, sticky cast on one’s face. While they have different types of sunscreen, their most popular seller is their “unseen” one. I personally use this sunscreen on a daily basis. Because of its clear color, it leaves no white cast and feels as if I have nothing on my face. Their sunscreen leaves no oily feeling as well.

Supergoop is focused on consumers’ concerns and dislikes with ordinary sunscreen, creating a product to combat the norm. They also use recycled material to make the packaging of their products, and they have a free recycling program through their site for all of their products and shipping boxes as well. This woman-owned business is defying the norm of gross sunscreen and creating a practical, unique, and amazing product for everyone. 

5. Our Place

Our Place is a brand focused on cookware. This brand is focused on bringing people together from differing backgrounds and ethnicities through cooking. Hence the brand name, “Our Place,” they want people to join together in the comfort of their homes and share memories and stories through the joys of creating. They are a “mission-driven brand,” that focuses on communities and uplifting them. They do this through the donations they provide, the community in which they manufacture being a female-based one, and the community they are building through the distribution of this product. They create a commonplace through their main passion of food and culture. 

These cookware items are made out of non-toxic materials. They also come in an array of colors to showcase your personal style and have fun whilst cooking in your home. I own a pan and use it every day – I love it and am so ecstatic to be supporting such an amazing company. 

These are just a few of my favorite women-owned businesses out of many. I hope these suggestions get you started on your research about what companies you want to support. Happy shopping, happy Women’s History Month, and happy International Women’s Day! :)

Taylor Wagner

Cal State Chico '24

Taylor is currently a fourth year student at Chico State expecting to graduate in Spring 2024. She is an English education major with a double minor in creative writing and secondary language, she is also working towards her editing and publishing certificate as well. Taylor has been on the dean's list for five semesters at Chico and is also a current member of the greek organization Sigma Kappa. Taylor has many passions including the environment and writing! In her free time you will catch her hanging out with friends, making food, sitting down to read a book or working out. She loves staying active and meeting new people. Taylor is originally from Encinitas, California, a city in San Diego county. After college she hopes to become a high school English teacher. Yet, to begin that journey she wants to move back to her home base and get her teaching credential, then to a larger city shortly after to get her Masters.