tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

Must-Watch Scary Movies From a Horror Film Fanatic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

A film major’s guide to truly spooky cinema.

I am the furthest thing from a film snob. That is to say, no horror film recommendation of mine would include films that have you performing mental gymnastics to figure out hidden meanings, or keep you from ever falling asleep again by the time the credits roll (shout out to you, A24). However, I do have an affinity for the classics, and if we’re being honest, what’s a holiday without a little tradition? This spooky season, make some popcorn, snuggle up, and prepare yourself for these three legendary fear flicks.

1. Scream (1996)

Terror, adrenaline, mystery. What’s not to love about the slasher genre? This masterpiece of a film is for the amateur detective who loves a good challenge. This movie will have you second-guessing until the very end, assuming you can slow your heart rate down for a moment to think. With a mask as iconic as Ghostface, the proof is in the pudding. Wes Craven’s Scream is a classic for a reason. Give it a watch this month, and see for yourself if you can figure out the identity of the monster behind the mask.

2. Halloween (1978)

This movie, starring a young Jamie Lee Curtis, is for those who just simply love to be spooked. There is absolutely nothing creepier and more chill-inducing than a murderous stalker. Add a nightmarish mask, heavy breathing, and the infamous Michael Myers stance, and you have yourself a movie that is downright eerie. This film will teach the valuable lesson that just because you yell “DON’T GO IN THERE” to the screen at the top of your lungs, doesn’t mean the characters won’t make the worst decision you’ve ever witnessed. Safe to say, you won’t leave your door unlocked or your windows open while home alone ever again after watching John Carpenter’s Halloween.

3. The Birds (1963)

Calling all Nor-Cal natives! Fear has perched in your backyard with this San Francisco & Bodega Bay set thriller. This movie lulls you into a false sense of security as you watch a sweet budding romance become the victim of nature’s revenge on humanity. There’s one thing for certain about Alfred Hitchcock films, and that is the fact that you’ll walk away feeling a little bit on edge about the world around you. In this particular case, you might want to keep an eye out for those random flocks. On second thought, keep those eyes covered…

Follow this guide during your spooky season movie night, and you’ll have an amazing time guaranteed. Just be sure to lock the doors, turn off the lights, and pull those covers all the way up. Remember, if you hear something strange, it’s just the wind. Probably…

Nadia Dizard

Cal State Chico '24

Nadia is a writer, reader, film analyzer, radio host, and all-around media enthusiast. She is currently finishing her degree in Media Arts Production at California State University, Chico. For the last 3 years, she has been a documentary intern with the Advanced Laboratory for Visual Anthropology and has worked as an assistant at the Valene L. Smith Museum of Anthropology on Chico State's campus. It is these experiences that have created for her, a deep passion for cultural and communal storytelling. She enjoys deep conversations about the media's use of stories to impact our social world and often explores this within her writing. In her free time, she loves early morning walks, hot tea, reading any book she can find, discovering new music, and spending time with her family and friends.