Kenough is Enough: Where’s Barbie?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Hi, Barbies!

So, Hollywood just dropped a major bombshell with the Oscar nominations for the 93rd Academy Awards, and it’s got us scratching our heads. How did Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig get snubbed for their Barbie movie collab?

For those of you who don’t know- the Barbie Movie was directed by Greta Gerwig, who is known for award-winning films such as Ladybird and Little Women (2018) and centered around the main protagonist, Barbie, played by Margot Robbie, giving us a fresh take on the iconic household name.

But, when the nominations rolled in, their names were nowhere to be found. Cue the confusion and disappointment.

History reminds us that only three women have won the Best Director Oscar since 1929. Justine Triet scored a nomination this year for Anatomy of a Fall, but she’s only the eighth woman ever nominated. And yes, Gerwig has been there before, but not for Barbie – it was Lady Bird in 2018.

Even Ryan Gosling, nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Ken, acknowledged the disappointment felt by many. He expressed his own disappointment, emphasizing that “there’s no Ken without Barbie and no Barbie movie without Gerwig and Robbie.”

ryan gosling in barbie movie
Warner Bros

This whole debacle has sparked another round of conversations about diversity and recognition in Hollywood.

For instance, Gerwig’s Barbie is a box-office sensation that dazzled audiences worldwide. Despite its success, the Oscars overlooked Gerwig for Best Director and Robbie for Best Lead Actress, leaving fans more than a little confused.

barbie movie behind the scenes 0002?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

This year’s Academy Awards nominations had some groundbreaking moments such as Lily Gladstone’s nomination for Best Actress, which made her the first Native American actress to receive this nomination. However, it’s important to acknowledge the long-standing issue of racial diversity in the awards. One such example is the snub of Past Lives, a Korean-centered film, in several individual categories, raising concerns about the lack of representation for actors of color. The marginalization of foreign films, particularly those focusing on racial minorities, seems to be an ongoing trend.

Social media users were quick to point out the irony in Gerwig’s Barbie script, which deals with the problem of women not receiving proper credit for their work. In one poignant monologue, Gloria, played by America Ferrera – actress and Oscar nominee for Best Supporting Actress – expressed her exhaustion with the constant need for women to please others and gain approval. She says, “I’m just so tired of watching myself and every other woman tie herself into knots just so people will like us.”

So, what’s the verdict?

Hollywood has some serious issues to deal with and it’s about time to celebrate the impact of women and underrepresented groups within the entertainment industry. Without their contributions, we wouldn’t have such a wide array of films, shows, and media that make our world just a bit more pink!

Salma Mamane

Cal State Chico '27

Meet Salma Malak Mamane, a passionate explorer with a love for words and cultures, originally from Boston and inspired by her early years in Morocco, she's on a mission to become a polyglot and unravel the beauty of different languages and the stories they tell. In her free time, you'll find her lacing up her running shoes, hitting the trails, or uncovering hidden treasures in thrift shops.