How To Prepare For An Early Spring Through Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Having been a part of Chico State’s campus radio station for a couple of years now, music holds a very important place in my self-care, my daily routine, and my personality. The right music can completely make a moment, and when it’s good, it’s perfect. I especially feel this way when it comes to the music you listen to when transitioning between seasons. The music I find and fall in love with one summer can make me feel summery on a bad winter day for the rest of my life. Now, Groundhog Day was not too long ago, and it was declared that we would see an early spring this year. Personally, that was the best news I’d heard in a long time. I love a good fall season, but spring just makes everything feel glittery. You know what I mean. That being said, your playlist going into this early spring should reflect that feeling.

Some of these recommendations may be basic and TikTok viral, some are artists I found through my time at the radio station, some I found on my own, and some are ones that I’m sure everyone knows. No matter what, they’ll feel like spring, and like a new beginning.

Praise Jah in the moonlight – yg Marley

If you have the amount of screen time I have, you’ve probably heard this one on TikTok by now. Even if it’s viral, there’s a reason! I may be biased, as every Friday afternoon come spring and summer when I was little, my dad would play the reggae station in his old 1995 Toyota Tacoma. This vibe reminds me of sunshine, warm air, and trips to the river. Aside from that, any relative of Bob Marley sings and you know you’ve got a hit. Give this one a listen and feel the sunlight (or, in this case, the moonlight).

Sugar – remi wolf

After seeing Remi Wolf in concert I can say with certainty that she is springtime in human form. This song may be about summer, but it feels warm and colorful like spring. As she sings about the seasons changing, and how nothing stays the same, you feel optimistic about the changes ahead of you. I put this song on, no matter what time of year, and I can see those blossoming flowers and sunny days ahead.

Take me where your heart is – q

I have so much love for this song that it’s difficult to put into words. I started listening to this song almost four years ago now, as a freshman, and that was when you couldn’t do anything in person. What I could do though, was drive with the windows down in warm weather and blast this song. It’s about having a crush, and I feel like that saying, “love is in the air,” that people say during spring, are the vibes this song gives. Springtime feels like having a crush and falling in love, blooming and opening up, and listening to this song when the sun is shining is the perfect representation of that.

friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

close to you – dayglow

What do we have here? Another song about falling in love!! I mean, what else is spring about, really? This song is so beautiful, you can genuinely feel it when you listen to it. I discovered this song through the adorable Netflix show, Heartstopper, also about love. My favorite memory attached to this song is driving with the windows down the night of my little sister’s high school graduation, screaming it at the top of our lungs. She told me later that I made her night with that drive and she thinks about it every time she listens to the song now. I know… proud big sister moment. That is just what this song gives you. It feels like springtime, making memories, and being young. Listen to this one while you walk or drive to campus on a sunny day and you’ll know exactly what I mean.

Doses & Mimosas – Cherub

If you’re reading this, and have never heard of this song, are you even in college? I’m not a huge party girl, but this classic party song is basically a requirement to have an amazing college spring. You listen to it, even on your own, and you’re transported to a huge group of people dancing at a day party and singing as loud as they possibly can. You put this song on and the sun is shining, the vibes are high, spring is here, and good things are coming your way.

What’s it gonna be? – Shura

This song just makes me smile. Maybe it’s the clapping beat, or the the upbeat tone and hopeful lyrics, but I just feel like I’m walking through a field of flowers. It’s so bubbly and gorgeous that I just associate it with spring, with the bright colors, blooming flowers, sunlit sky, and happy faces. Give it a listen, especially if you’re feeling down, and see how quickly this shifts your mood.

Sweet disposition – the temper trap

If you’ve never heard this song, sprint to Spotify and listen to it. Like “Close To You,” this song just makes you feel your youth. You can actually feel your problems and stresses melt away as the rhythm washes over you. Rain or shine, I can feel the sunlight in this song. You feel like you’ll never take life for granted again, and that the world is beautiful. Kicking your early spring off with this song will give you the best mindset to move into the new season.

I can dream – Manatee commune, Effee

This is a song I discovered while working at the campus radio station, and I’ve never felt more like a springtime lover girl than when I first heard this song. I had just joined the radio and was so nervous to be live on air, but when I played this song, I fell so in love with the music that I just couldn’t help but have fun with the rest of my show. Now when I listen to it, I’m transported back to that spring, and feel all smiley and dancey. Hopefully, it can do the same for you.

Missing u – Robyn

Believe it or not, I actually discovered this song because it played as an introduction song for Jenny Slate’s Netflix comedy special. It got me so hyped up for a show I wasn’t even at, that I immediately added it to my giant favorite songs playlist. It makes me feel so cool and confident listening to this song, like I can do whatever I set my mind to. I think that springtime has the same energy, so this song fits perfectly into a spring playlist.

Broken record – Jaguar Sun

This song just feels joyful. I found it while browsing an up and coming indie artists playlist on Spotify and loved it right away. It feels like going on a walk with a cold drink and a good friend, just disappearing into the sunset. It’s bouncy and light-hearted, making you feel relaxed and glowy. It’s the perfect addition to your spring song mix to give you that extra pep in your step for the upcoming warm weather.

More than a woman – Bee Gees

We’re taking it back a spell with this banger. This song is a beautiful classic about love that feels like you’re in the ending of a 1970s rom-com, dancing in the street as the sun shines on your face. Nothing feels wrong or bad when this song is on, and the world is a little brighter. I always feel like I’m a part of a simpler time when I listen to this song. It gets you up and dancing, with your window open, a warm breeze in the air, and the birds singing. It embodies springtime in the best possible way, and no spring playlist would be complete without it.

Angel – PinkPantheress

I had to include this song to ensure that you all remember that this will be the first spring since Barbie summer! What does this mean? It’s officially Barbie spring! I want to see all of the pink sun dresses, sandals, and sunglasses. With some pink headphones, listen to this song and you’ll feel all floaty and happy. I know that I always feel like a princess when I listen to this song, especially when I wear one of my hundreds of pink clothing items. I promise that adding this beautiful song to your spring mix will be exactly the Barbie spring moment you’re hoping for.

ryan gosling and margot robbie in barbie movie
Warner Bros

Honorable Mentions

I could write for hundreds of pages about how music can make you feel like you’re truly a part of a season, and create meaning where there wasn’t any before, but no one has the time to read all of that, and I certainly don’t have the time to write it. So, here are some songs that I feel would be PERFECT as a part of this playlist, but didn’t quite make the cut. Lovers by Anna of the North, Pretty Girls by Renee Rap, These Words by Natasha Bedingfield, Sure Thing by Miguel, Eternal Sunshine by Jhene Aiko, Clearest Blue by CHVRCHES, itch by quinnie, Fire for You by Cannons, I Belong in Your Arms by Chairlift, and Good Days by SZA.

Music taste is, of course, an extremely personal aspect of who we are as it’s tied to our upbringing, our beliefs, and our view of the world. However, no matter what your taste in music is, I hope you find some joy in these songs and have an amazing early spring no matter what the soundtrack for the season may be. So, get your headphones, press play, and start dancing!

Nadia Dizard

Cal State Chico '24

Nadia is a writer, reader, film analyzer, radio host, and all-around media enthusiast. She is currently finishing her degree in Media Arts Production at California State University, Chico. For the last 3 years, she has been a documentary intern with the Advanced Laboratory for Visual Anthropology and has worked as an assistant at the Valene L. Smith Museum of Anthropology on Chico State's campus. It is these experiences that have created for her, a deep passion for cultural and communal storytelling. She enjoys deep conversations about the media's use of stories to impact our social world and often explores this within her writing. In her free time, she loves early morning walks, hot tea, reading any book she can find, discovering new music, and spending time with her family and friends.