Career > Her20s

How To Prepare For A College Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

It’s that time of year! With the wrapping up of midterms, we are approaching the exciting though somewhat intimidating annual Career & Internship Fair at Chico State! The fair will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 25, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the BMU auditorium. All students, regardless of year or major, are encouraged to attend to start exploring professional opportunities. Whether this will be your first time attending a career fair or you’re an experienced attendee who just needs a slight refresher, here’s a few important things to remember before stepping into the auditorium.

Dress To Impress

This is a CAREER fair! Be sure to dress in business attire. Showing up in jeans and a tank top might feel physically comfortable, but it looks unprofessional and can be a big turn-off for potential employers. Khakis, medium to long length skirts and dresses, blouses, and neutral colors will be your best friend. If you’re struggling to find the perfect outfit in your closet, ask your roommates, friends, or consider a trip to the store (if you’re trying to avoid breaking the bank, try a secondhand clothing shop such as Clothing Revival).

HBO

Perfect Your Resume

This one seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of misconceptions can be made about what a “good” resume looks like. Avoid non-neutral colors and hard-to-read fonts. Be sure to include the experiences that are most relevant to your desired career path and limit your resume to one page. Chico State’s Career Center offers some excellent advice for how to perfect your resume, including the use of transferable skills and appropriate formatting. You can even schedule an appointment with an advisor if you’d like a professional to help you edit your resume. Be sure to print plenty of copies prior to the career fair!

AppleEmploy ArticleHero Concept?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Do Your Research

Avoid walking into that auditorium with no clue of what companies you’ll be meeting. Here is a full list of the employers that will be present at the upcoming career fair. Consider reviewing the list prior and highlighting the companies you’re most interested in talking to. From there, dive deeper into their missions, open opportunities, and just try to learn more about them. This will show employers you have a genuine interest in their work, a HUGE green flag in a job candidate!

Be Confident!

It’s totally okay, normal, and acceptable to be nervous. Before heading over to the fair, hype yourself up! Remind yourself of your accomplishments, repeat some affirmations in the mirror, and remember that just showing up is already a HUGE step in the right direction. Be proud of yourself for that and find some comfort knowing that what’s meant to be will be. Be confident, be professional, and be yourself. They’re going to love you!

Marisa Cala-Keck

Cal State Chico '24

Marisa is the Founder, President, and Editor-in-Chief of the Chico State Her Campus chapter. A double major in English and Psychology, she is equally passionate about mental health and writing. She is an honors student, served as the 2022-2023 President of her sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, and has been on the Dean's List seven out of seven semesters thus far. Marisa has worked in a variety of mentorship roles on campus and currently assists students as an Academic Advising Intern. In her free time, Marisa loves spending time with her family and best friends, being around animals (especially her 3 cats and 2 dogs), binge-watching her comfort shows (the current top two include Pretty Little Liars and Gilmore Girls), reading novels, traveling, and singing! She loves Taylor Swift, spicy foods, Trader Joe's, Pinterest, and all things chocolate. After graduating this Spring, she plans to move to New York to earn her master's degree before pursing a career in the field of education, through which she aspires to reframe health and sex education programs to be more inclusive and to open in-school conversations surrounding mental wellness.