Style

Aspiring Plant Parents: You Need To Try One Of These Beginner House Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

As the warm months rapidly approach, spring will arrive and the world around us will bloom with beautiful plants in various shapes, sizes, and colors. While these plants are appreciated outside our homes, some people may want to bring the joy that plants bring them on the inside. Here are a few plants for beginners to enjoy nature inside your home.

Pothos: 

This plant is notorious for being invincible. They can survive in dark or light environments, making them suitable for any space. Pothos grow vertically, so make sure you have a space where the legs of this plant can hang. What’s great about them growing vertically is that they are a decoration of their own, making a statement whether they’re up against a wall or simply sitting on top of your fridge. These plants come in varying colors, both light, dark, and variegated, offering a variety of possibilities to your space.

They’re also very easy to take care of as they need watering once every one to two weeks, depending on the season and amount of light they receive. They will also tell you when they need water, curling their leaves as a sign of dehydration.

Monstera:

This plant offers tall stems with gorgeous leaves. Monsteras are known for the leaves they produce, as they form a very unique and beautiful shape through the use of holes and “cutouts.” While these plants require a more sunlit area, they will grow with less light as well – the leaves just may not produce as much pattern as they would if they were in the sun. These plants can grow very large, making a statement in a corner of your room. Monsteras will grow sideways if they do not have support to grow upward as well. Also, giving them support to grow upward will signal for the plant to grow much larger, prettier leaves. 

These plants are very manageable and easy to take care of. They require water about once a week to every two weeks depending on how much sunlight they receive along with the time of year. These plants will also wilt their leaves to tell you to water them. 

Dieffenbachia: 

This is a very leafy plant that has a pattern like no other. The spotted, zebra-like pattern they display is guaranteed to catch eyes. This plant can grow very tall and wide, which would look great as a corner decoration or even a desk plant. They like more sunlit areas and will display more patterns if in a heavier-lit area, yet will grow in darker conditions as well.

Dieffenbachia plants are very easy to take care of as they only require watering once every week to two depending on the amount of sunlight they receive and the time of year. These plants will also wilt their leaves, telling you when they need to be watered. 

Snake Plant:

This plant offers tall beautiful leaves as well. These plants are also known to be invincible as they do not require water as often as other plants. This is in part because they are closely related to succulents. These plants come in many patterns as well, giving you options when picking your perfect plant!

They grow very tall, being perfect for an empty corner in your room, or even next to a desk or television. These plants, although responding better to more sunlight, grow just as well in darker spaces. They are very resilient and grow relatively fast. 

These plants need to be watered every two weeks. They will not necessarily tell you when they need water, however, when the soil is completely dry, soak it all the way through until the next watering day. 

ZZ Plant: 

These plants are also closely related to succulents making them very tough plants to kill. These plants have long stems with tiny leaves. They’re beautiful and grow relatively fast. These plants thrive in small pots since they like to be in crowded areas in order to grow taller and fuller. They can live in either dark or light locations within your home but will grow faster with greener leaves in more sunlight.

These plants require watering about every two weeks. Similar to the Snake Plant, they will not tell you when they need watering, but you’ll know once the soil is completely dried out. 

I hope some of these suggestions can start your new plant collection! The only thing you’ll regret about starting your plant collection is not starting earlier. Happy planting!

Taylor Wagner

Cal State Chico '24

Taylor is currently a fourth year student at Chico State expecting to graduate in Spring 2024. She is an English education major with a double minor in creative writing and secondary language, she is also working towards her editing and publishing certificate as well. Taylor has been on the dean's list for five semesters at Chico and is also a current member of the greek organization Sigma Kappa. Taylor has many passions including the environment and writing! In her free time you will catch her hanging out with friends, making food, sitting down to read a book or working out. She loves staying active and meeting new people. Taylor is originally from Encinitas, California, a city in San Diego county. After college she hopes to become a high school English teacher. Yet, to begin that journey she wants to move back to her home base and get her teaching credential, then to a larger city shortly after to get her Masters.