Shell Beach in Pismo.
Shell Beach in Pismo.
Original photo by Gillian Steffey
Life > Experiences

Your Agenda for A Day In Cambria, CA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We are so lucky to go to school in central California that we are so close to many of California’s best cities. One of my favorite cities I have visited is Cambria. Only about 40 minutes away from campus, this scenic drive will take you to a great day spot. Here is your agenda for once you get there. 

I would leave Cal Poly around 10am and plan to stay there until 3pm to fit all of these plans into your agenda. 

Once you arrive in downtown Cambria, you can park anywhere along the street. Head on over to Mojo’s Village Bean and grab yourself a cup of coffee. I suggest their yummy hot chocolate with whip cream on top and a warmed up ham and cheese croissant. If you are into knitting or crocheting or just enjoy yarn, there is a famous yarn shop right across the street from the coffee shop. This store is called Ball & Skein and contains every yarn color imaginable. My fashion lovers, this store is for you! 

Walk a little more down the road and once you see the gas station, turn down that street. One of my favorites is located here called Spellbound Herbs Gift Shop. The store is fairy themed and has some of the coolest stuff that made my inner fairytale self very happy. They also have a flourishing walk through a fairy garden in the back of the store that takes you through a mermaid themed area, a Harry Potter themed area and an Alice and Wonderland themed area. There were numerous picturesque spots throughout this walk so get your phones ready! At this point, you might be a little hungry for lunch. Luckily, there is a quaint market located in the heart of downtown Cambria. They have fruits, vegetables and a deli in the back. This is where I grabbed lunch and it was delicious. We took our lunch down the road to Moonstone beach. It was a successful picnic with a wonderful view. Once we were full, we walked down to the beach and started searching for the famous moonstones on this beach. After finding many stones that we thought were the real deal, the locals had to help us out and show us what to actually find. This beach was beautiful and filled with the prettiest shells and stones. 

Once we left the beach, we stopped at one more store called Lucia’s Apothecary. This was a really neat store as the scents made were named after local places. I bought body oil named “Avila” and my mom bought a body scrub called “Obispo”. I loved the locality of the names at this shop. On our way out of town we stopped at the Cambria Hart Cat Shelter. We originally stopped just to look at the gift shop but we immediately decided to go in and play with the cats. The cats were mostly sleeping (as cats do) but a few wanted to play. I wish I could have adopted every cat there! If you are looking to adopt or foster a cat, go check out Cambria Hart. 

Cambria is one of my new favorite cities in California. I can not wait to go back and I hope you will enjoy visiting, too!

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.