Why Should I Buy Organic?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

If you don’t buy organic, I can probably guess what you’re thinking — organic foods are over-priced versions of normal food with a label stuck on them. However, after becoming aware of what exactly organic means, you may not mind spending a little more.

What does the organic label really mean?

According to California Certified Organic Farmers, for a food to be certified organic means “the use of sewage sludge, bioengineering (GMO’s), ionizing radiation, and most synthetic pesticides and fertilizers is prohibited.” In addition, “organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals fed 100% organic feed and forage (and) are given no antibiotics or growth hormones.

What is on my food if it’s not organic?

Numerous chemicals are used on conventional U.S. farms in order to control pests and maximize production. The problem with these synthetics in our food is they cause health problems and disrupt natural processes that take place on the planet. For example, pesticides used to keep pests off conventionally farmed food remain on the food when they are placed in our supermarkets.

Some foods with the highest number of pesticides (according to the environmental working group) are apples, strawberries, grapes, celery, peaches and spinach. Conventionally farmed apples, for instance, can have up to 48 different types of chemicals on them while sitting in the grocery store ready for purchase, according to a Forbes article titled “Five Reason to Eat Organic Apples.” These powerful chemicals are toxic to our bodies and increase the risk of reproductive and endocrine system problems, because they have been created to attack these two systems specifically in smaller living organisms that disturb farming production.

GMO’s?

Another problem with non-organic food is that it likely contains a GMO, or genetically modified organism. This involves taking the genes from one species and putting it into the DNA of another species to create an entirely new organism. This means the non-organic box of food you are buying from the store has likely been genetically modified. This is dangerous to human health, as well as the planet, because this type of organism has never been in the atmosphere until now and we are unsure of what the consequences will be.

Why should I buy organic meat and dairy products?

In regard to meat and dairy products, many of the animals are being given genetically modified feed corn or soybean-based feed instead of grass. To prevent disease, the animals are pumped with antibiotics, which leads to antibiotic-resistant pathogens. Many animals are also given hormones that help them gain more mass in a shorter amount of time. All of these are unnatural for the animal and have harmful effects on the human body.

How is organic farming environmentally friendly?

Eating organic supports sustainable agricultural practices that help to keep you as well as the Earth healthy! Eating organically means harmful chemicals aren’t put into the atmosphere where they can get into water and soil and affect plant and animals species. Also, many organic foods come from local smaller-scale farms, so when you buy organic, you are more likely to be supporting local famers. By eating organic and local, your food travels less distance from its source, which contributes to a smaller carbon footprint. Look for the organic label and support local organic sellers at the Thursday night farmer’s market!

Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.