Why I Don’t Care Where We Eat on a First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As technology develops and the presence of social media becomes ever more prevalent, people’s expectations of what an “ideal life” is becoming exceedingly far-fetched. People post pictures of celebrities decked out in designer everything with a caption “#goals.” Or a couple is posing with glasses of champagne in their hands, sitting on a beach on some completely random, tropical island with a caption “#romance” as if anyone realistically has that much money to leave the country every week by working a standard salaried job.

With these new expectations of what our lives should be and how our relationships should look, it makes it harder for people to enjoy the smaller things in life. More specifically, I always come across tweets – yes Mom, I’m paying attention in class, I swear – about people hating on being taken to places like Applebee’s or McDonald’s for a date. I have a few things to say about that.

Listen, dates are already awkward as it is. They’re full of clumsy fumbles and stuttered words. Let’s not add to the existing stress by claiming that dates need to be stupidly romantic, with dim lighting and expensive entrees. We aren’t made out of money. Sometimes, we choose to indulge in the 2-for-$20 Chili’s deal (Which is super delicious, by the way. Don’t fight me on this).

In all honesty and with the utmost respect: who cares? If you’re hanging out with the right person, does it matter where you get your food? If a dude offered to take me out and we swung by a McDonald’s drive-thru, I would be completely unfazed. Clearly I enjoy his company enough to agree to spending time together alone, and I understand that money can often be tight. As long as we are laughing and having a grand ol’ time, it’s all good with me.

Don’t judge people on where they want to go for a date. And if someone wants to have some quality time with you, please don’t express obvious distaste simply on the location. Just enjoy each other’s company.