What We Know About the Events of November 13th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

5 major events happened this last Friday, November 13th, sweeping the feet, in some cases quite literally, out from under the world.

1. The Paris attacks starting at 9:20 pm with a death toll totalling in 129 victims,

2. A funeral in Baghdad was bombed killing a total of 19 victims, injuring 33 victims.

3. Beirut, Lebanon was targeted by 2 suicide bombers killing a total of 43 victims, injuring 239 victims.

4. A magnitude 4.3 earthquake hit Baja, California at 9:17am; no immediate reports of death or injury.

5. A magnitude 7.0 earthquake hit the southwest coast of Japan, triggering a 1 ft. tsunami; no immediate reports of death or injury.

Paris

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Paris attacks started at 9:20pm local time in Paris, France last night, Friday November 13th. Islamic State and terrorist organization ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks, including the mass shooting in the Bataclan Concert Hall and three explosions outside of the Stade de France stadium (located in North Paris). Targeting 6 locations thought to be crowded on a Friday evening, a total of 129 as of now (possibly more) victims were killed.

The Bataclan Concert Hall, where the SoCal band Eagles of Death Metal were playing a sold out show (around 1,500 seats), was targeted by four shooters all killed either by security and police or suicide. All eight attackers are believed to be to be dead, 7 via suicide bombings and one shot down by French security. The death toll by explosions is currently unknown but the possible identity of two Stade de France bombers were found via Egyptian and Syrian passports found near the bodies.

Cal State Long Beach design student, Nohemi Gonzalez (20) from El Monte, was killed along with 128 other victims in the shooting, according the statement released via social media by her exchange college in France. Cal Poly students received an email from President Armstrong on Sunday afternoon, informing us of this news. He also added that all Cal Poly students studying abroad in Paris are safe and accounted for. 

The president of France, Francois Hollande, announced an official 3 day mourning period; many Parisians were currently gathered in the streets and near attack sites in mourning but public gatherings have been banned till Thursday and government buildings and other major national sites have been shut down as well. Watch President Hollande’s statement below:

America and many other countries have come together to stand in solidarity with the citizens, survivors, and victims of these attacks, including Obama who released a statement about Paris around 6pm November 13th, stating:

“Once again we’ve seen an outrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians. This is an attack not just on Paris, it’s an attack not just on the people of France, but this is an attack on all of humanity and the universal values that we share. We stand prepared and ready to provide whatever assistance that the government and the people of France need to respond”

Watch President Obama’s full statement below:

Baghdad

With no claim of responsibility for the attack as of now, the attempted suicide bombing targeted Shiites attending a funeral in the Al-Ashara al-Mubashareen mosque, killing a total of 19 and injuring up to 33 victims.

The funeral at the Al-Ashara al-Mubashareen mosque, located in the Amil area of south Baghdad, was for a member of the Popular Mobilisation units, a volunteer militia group made up primarily of Iranian supported Shiite militias and a major, effective force in the fight against ISIS.

Despite no claim for responsibility yet, suicide bombings are an exclusive Sunni extremist tactic in Iraq; ISIS is included in that group and believe Shiites to be traitors and heretics.

Beirut

According to CNN at 12:01 am, November 13th: Taking place on Thursday and into Friday, Beirut, Lebanon was attacked by a two suicide bombing incidents killing a total of 43 and injuring 239 victims. A total of four attackers arrived from Syria a few days before but one of the suicide bombers survived the cast and was into custody, reporting to be an ISIS recruit. Investigators are still looking into the claim and the online social media claim that ISIS was responsible.

Targeting crowded areas, the two explosions blasted 490 ft away from Lebanon’s National News Agency and Bourj al-Barajneh district in southern Beirut, which included open air markets. The blasts left the streets covered in blood and shattered glass.

Mexico and Japan

Maneadero, Baja California, Mexico was hit by a magnitude 4.3 earthquake at 9:17 am and the southwest coast of Japan was struck by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake at 5:51 am and caused a 1ft tsunami. Both earthquakes left no immediate claims to death or injury.

Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.