“What, Like It’s Hard?” Femininity in Legally Blonde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I will always remember the first time my mom introduced me to Legally Blonde–as a so-called “girly girl,” this movie was a dream. I was mesmerized by the bright pink colors, the chic outfits, and the contagious positivity gleaming through the television. Although I may not have fully understood the story’s meaning at such a young age, Elle Woods instantly caught the attention of eight-year-old Jenna. I dreamt of the day when I would attend university and emulate this powerhouse heroine. Now, I’m finally making those dreams come true and it’s here at university that I fully understand the feminist impact of this film. 

I recently found myself in need of watching a comfort movie after a long week of midterms, so naturally, I gravitated toward this one. Having self-confidence can be trying at times throughout school, but Elle Woods always reminds me of the badass woman I am. Now more than ever, I relate to her trials and tribulations of hard work, doubt, changing dreams, and more. Although the odds might be stacked against her in law school, her unwavering determination and belief in herself leads to her ultimate success as a lawyer. Elle trusts in the process, and while her dreams change along the way, she eventually gets everything she wants. She represents that women, in film and modern society, are allowed to believe in themselves wholeheartedly and be confident in their successes–we deserve nothing less. 

As well, in this endeavor of her powerful success, Ms.Woods actively defies the stereotype of strong women needing masculine qualities. While women are not limited in their amazing qualities, being able to express one’s femininity has a history of being deemed less worthy. Femininity has strength too! We witness Elle set her goals of going to law school at Harvard, actually achieving them, and even going above and beyond in her field–all while staying true to her sorority roots. Her bubbly charisma and feminine outfits are present throughout the film. Still, she continually defies the box society loves to trap women into. In the end, her knowledge of feminine upkeep is what allows her to win a murder court case as just a college student. She shows that our complex intricacies are what make us successful and reach our true potential. 

This feminist classic continues to be relevant to the young girls of this generation, even 20 years later. I am a self-proclaimed rom-com expert, and this movie is one of the best, mostly because it follows a strong woman who realizes her potential reaches far outside of men. In the end, getting the guy is an added bonus, not the final destination. Not only does Elle Woods represent strong femininity in a light that is to be celebrated, but it reveals that our femininity reaches across our female friendships too. These relationships are the joy of our days just as much as men are. We all deserve respect and support, which Elle gives and receives with a smile. This Women’s History Month, I’m striving to be more like Elle Woods and I encourage you to do so too. 

Jenna Dierkes

Cal Poly '25

Jenna is a third-year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in English with a Media Arts minor. She is currently involved in the Mustang Film Society as a social media coordinator and an Editorial Writer for Her Campus.