Tips for Returning to College: A Guide for Sophomores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The first year was a whole new world. It was endless possibilities from living on your own for the first time, to picking your own class schedule, and a crazy and wonderful whirlwind of self-discovery. By the end of freshman year you are settled in to the routine of class, activities, and friends. Honestly, going home for the summer sounds worse than waking up for an 8am class. This is your home now, and your friends have become your family.

Returning for second year after a long summer of boredom and missing college is a wonderful feeling. You are so ready to have your life back and get into the swing of things, only this time you’ll do it better. Though returning is very exciting, it is not completely without surprises and new lessons to be learned. Soon, you realize that your friends are no longer right down the hall from you, but across campus or even across town. Having your own place is new and exciting, but it feels different than first year. Returning to college as a second year has its perks, as well as its drawbacks. Here are some tips to help you navigate the first few weeks back as a college sophomore!

1.      Allow yourself time to get settled in.

Though you are brimming with excitement to see old friends and visit your favorite spots, be sure to spend time carefully setting up your living space in a way that you love and that will serve you well for the next year. Its important that you start off in an organized manner so that you don’t have to waste time that could be spent studying or sleeping on reorganizing once classes start. It’s much better to get the not so fun stuff out of the way first. You’ll thank yourself later.

2.      Reconnect with old friends.

Call up those friends you’ve spent all summer missing! The friends you made first year are a big part of why you fell in love with college—and some of them will last a lifetime. Reconnect and continue to strengthen the support network you built for yourself first year.

3.     Allow yourself opportunities to make new ones.

What is college without meeting new people? When you meet new people, you learn more about yourself and expand your horizons. Even if you already have the best friends you could possibly hope for, continue branching out for your own sake. You never know who you may find!

4.      Make a plan to try the things you didn’t have a chance to try last year.

Fall is a busy time with going back to school and the beginning of classes. Luckily, you have an entire year to look forward to. Even if you don’t have time right away, make a plan to try the things that you maybe didn’t get involved in last year that piqued your interest. It’s important to keep learning and trying new things. You may even make some new friends in the process!

5.      Prioritize your health and needs.

College is not easy on your physical or mental health. Staying up to study late hours, late night dining hall runs, early morning classes, socializing, and the stress of school can all take a massive toll on your health. Chances are if you are returning for second year you are very happy where you are and wouldn’t trade your college experience for anything. Be sure to take care of yourself – get enough sleep, eat healthy, get exercise, and find outlets for stress so that nothing can keep you from an amazing second year experience.

6.      Learn from your first-year mistakes.

We come to college to learn. However, the learning extends beyond what we glean from 16 hours of in-class lecture Monday to Friday. After reflecting on first year, pick out a few things you could have done better, whether they are academic or more personal, and begin to practice new habits and a better way of doing things. You are sure to emerge as a more knowledgeable and balanced person.  

Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.