Tips and Tricks for CP SLO’s Clothes For Sale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

This is a world full of stress and anxiety. It’s fast-paced, run by money and filled with tricks and scams and bargaining and pleasure. It’s an addiction. This world is an addiction. The only thing that also revolves around this world: clothes.

Yes, I’m talking about the world of CP SLO’s Clothes For Sale. For those of you who don’t know, CP SLO’s Clothes For Sale is an online Facebook group where Cal Poly students post pictures of their old or unused clothes to sell to other students – usually for pretty cheap. Now, as a college student, I don’t have the time or the money to go out to Forever 21 or downtown to buy new, expensive clothes. So when I was first introduced to CP SLO’s Clothes For Sale, I was instantly hooked.

During my fall quarter, I must admit, I went over-board on the page. I was addicted to it. I was constantly on the page — selling and buying, selling and buying. Throughout this year, I have learned some shortcuts and tips to get the most out of this page.

So if you’re a beginner, and want to learn how to get the most out of your experience with this page, read on. Even if you’ve been with the page since the beginning, you might be surprised to learn some tips and tricks you never knew before. Some of the advice may sound extreme, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Don’t hesitate

I’m pretty sure this has happened to all of us. We fall in love with a top or dress on the page, and just as you’re about to comment on the picture saying that we’re interested, three people, right at that second, comment before you. Let me tell you, ladies, you have to be fast. This is no game. If you’re slow, even by a split second, you may lose the dress of your dreams. To get around this, set your phone so that you always get notifications when someone posts on the page. That way, you’ll never miss a post. You literally have to pounce on it. Also, if you’re interested in something, don’t hesitate and think too long about it. Just comment on the picture or message the person saying you’re interested. You can always change your mind later.

Always send a message

Most people comment on the picture to say that they’re interested. What you might not realize is that someone has already directly messaged the owner of the clothing. Messaging the owner directly gives you an extra step ahead of anybody else. Sometimes the owner will even give you the clothing instead of someone who commented on it, because it shows that you’re interested enough to start planning out when to meet with the person.

Don’t forget “OBO”

What most people forget about is the “OBO” part of the deal. “OBO” stands for “Or Best Offer,” meaning that if the item is being sold for $10 and you already can see that 5 other people want it, you can message the person saying that you would pay $11 or $12 for it. Most likely, you’ll get it. You can also bargain. If you know no one else has shown their interest for a type of clothing, you can message the owner and ask them if they would be willing to lower the price just a little bit. If you’re the only one interested, they’ll usually be willing to do it!

Always double-check

I honestly can’t stress this enough. Always double-check what you’re buying. Make sure that the clothing isn’t too overused, and actually worth your money. I’ve had countless encounters with people selling clothes by telling me that they only wore it once, but when I finally get to see it, it’s covered in lint, has definitely been washed multiple times, and I’ve even seen holes in some of them! During my fall quarter, I also would always make the mistake of not trying the clothes on. Don’t be shy to ask the person if you can go to the bathroom real quick to try it on. You don’t want to be buying something you’ll regret.

So scrimmage through your clothes, find things you don’t ever wear anymore, and sell them! You might be surprised at how many people are interested. The page is almost like an online thrift store sometimes. You may have to rummage through all the clothes and it may take you a while, but you might just end up finding exactly what you need.

Hi everyone! I'm Arinee Rahman, a second year Journalism major at Cal Poly SLO. I love cats, and I love potato. I love potato so much that my cat's name is Potato.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.